Chapter Five

Natalie sighed, collapsing on the couch in her grand living room. What would she do without Hayden here with her?

She'd just lie on the couch.... bored.

The doorbell rang, echoing throughout the mansion of a house. Natalie sighed. It wouldn't be Hayden. He was at baseball practice.

She got up and answered it. "Hello," she said to the girl standing on the opposite side of her, outside the door. She looked familiar. From school, maybe?

"Hi!" The girl smiled wide, handing her an envelope addressed to her. "You're invited," she said in a singsong tone.

"Oh. Thank you."

"Of course! Have a great day," the girl continued, a little too smiley. She walked off to a car waiting for her at the end of the driveway, outside of the gate. Natalie wasn't sure how she would've been able to have gotten through, but she wasn't about to question it. She closed the doors and walked back in the living room, ripping open the envelope. It was an invitation to a party.

The second most popular girl in school's party.

Brooke Benton.

You're Invited! It said at the top. 8:00 at 7509 Benton Road. Saturday. Dress cool for summer. Bring your own drinks, and bring a friend.

Natalie figured she'd go. If the most popular girl in school didn't go to the second most popular girl in school's party, then....

Yeah, she would go, no doubt. And maybe she would even see if she could drag Hayden along with her.