Chapter Eleven

It was almost summer. Cramming to get the last grades in before the seniors left high school. There was a week left of school, and finals were all everyone was busy with.

Of course Hayden would pass his finals with no problem. Natalie was smart too, she just couldn't pay attention and focus her life on a test for a few hours.

"No phones," the administrator pacing the room reminded. "All cell phones must be turned completely off and put away."

Natalie sighed, quietly and slid her phone back into one of the sections of her backpack, which was sitting beside her.

Later during the period, an hour or more later, the English final was finished, and Natalie was done just in time.

She was relieved, and she was sure the administrator was too.

*

When the last bell rung, the seniors busted out the front doors on the last day of school. They were adults now. They were on their own now, out in the real world. But that was actually a great thing that Natalie couldn't wait to experience.

Hayden found Natalie once they got outside and kissed her. Around them there were other seniors shooting confetti everywhere and a bunch of other things to celebrate. There was even a guy with a boombox on his shoulder blasting loud music. Natalie and Hayden ran into the parking lot, laughing.

They got into Natalie's car and sat there, breathing sighs of relief. Hayden looked at Natalie, smiling. "I thought it never would be over."

Natalie smiled a little, then looked down.

"What? Are you okay?" Hayden asked, sliding his hand behind her neck and playing with her hair.

"I don't know...."

"What is it?"

Natalie looked up at Hayden. "It's just that.... this means you're going to be off to college soon and you'll be far away. And I'll be alone until you come back for a couple of months."

Hayden frowned. "I know. But don't worry about it. It'll go by faster than you think," he said reassuringly.

"If you say so...."