Chapter Ten

"You should've seen him shirtless. Ohhhh...." Natalie motioned a stab in the heart with her hand.

Natalie had been explaining more about Hayden and how much she loved him to Roxy all afternoon as they sat in Natalie's room to do homework.

"Wait a second!" Roxy exclaimed, perking up. "When did you see him shirtless?" she asked, narrowing her eyes. "Did you?!"

"Did I what?" Natalie asked, biting her lip, her cheeks visibly pinker even under the blush. "Last night."

Roxy slowly started to gape, but Natalie quickly added, "But we were in the pool last night. Just hanging out. My parents were actually here too."

"Oh. Have your parents met him yet?" Roxy asked, a small grin creeping.

"No," Natalie sighed, shaking her head. She turned down to her homework and added a few side-notes to her essay. "Will you peer-edit this rough draft?"

Roxy rolled her eyes. "Like it even needs it." She sat up, scanning through and adding several bullet points at the end of the essay with her pink sparkly pen. "There. I just made that stuff up. There's really nothing wrong with your essay. It's just that the teacher --"

"-- gets mad if you don't. I know. That's fine. Thanks," Natalie said, taking her essay and sliding it into her folder.

"So.... what'd you guys do last night...." Roxy asked, grinning again and eying Natalie's messy bed.

"No," Natalie said, smiling and shaking her head. "We did not."

"He gave me a promise ring," Natalie continued, smiling a little. She spun a silver ring with a ruby crystal mounted on it, showing it to Roxy.

"Ooh," Roxy breathed. She looked up at Natalie. "Things are getting serious! Are you sure this is not going to be another Johnny relationship?"

"I'm sure. Johnny was a jerk, and I should've seen it all along. I should've listened to you...."

"Wait. Say that again, one more time...." Roxy tucked her long, wavy brown hair with blue streaks in it behind her ear, leaning in towards Natalie."

"What? Johnny was a jerk?"

"No."

"I should've seen that?"

"No!"

"Oh. I should've listened to you."

They both laughed. "Yep. Ah, well, it's been a pleasure. I'm a great friend, I know...." Roxy curtsied with the skirt she didn't have, and mocked bowing. Natalie laughed.

"Oh, Roxy. I love you, too, though, because you're the bestest friend I'll ever have."

"Thanks, sis. I love you too."