The month went on and although there were a couple of incidents that made it where Higgs turned back into a small child, Merida was alright with it and they went on with their daily lives.

**************

"It looks like ye were invited to a party." She said, coming from the door.
Higgs turned to her from playing in the flour and she made a face, putting her hand on her hip.
"Mr. Higgs..."
He grinned as she set the invitation on the table and picked him up to set him on the counter top.
"Now I have to start all over because ye ran yer hands in it."
"But it was so fluffy!"
"I ken ye can try to keep yer childish behavior at bay at least sometimes, yeah?"
"Sometimes..."
She smiled and took an extra rag, getting the flour off of his hands and arms and the straggles that were in his hair and on his face. She pinched his nose and moved his face as he giggled. Once he was all cleaned up, she ordered him to stay on the counter as she found a chair for him to stand in so he could help her make some bread and some muffins. Once the chair was acquired, she put him in it and pulled the flour off the counter to throw away and set out a small new pile.
"There..."
"Merida, I just wanted to let you that... that tomorrow is the start of the next month."
"Is it? It's been that long already?"
"Yeah... I don't know what this cycle is going to be this time around so... You still promise to stay, right?"
"I told ye I would so I will." She said, cracking an egg into her mix. "Will ye turn as soon as tomorrow comes or when the sun comes up?"
"It's usually in my sleep but I will be able to tell you about it then... Did you say I was invited to a party?"
"Ah, aye, I have the invitation over there."
Higgs crawled down from the chair and over to where Merida had set the invitation. He stood on his tippy toes and finally grabbed it. He opened it up and smiled.
"It's Boston!"
"Boston?"
"Boston Graves' parents are holding the party. I know him from when we were younger. He kind of knows about my family's issue."
"How do you 'kind of' know about the issue?" Merida asked, pulling out dough from the bowl.
"He saw my father once and he saw me once but he just denies our existence to being drunk. He's really great because I can tell him something and he'll just take it as a joke but he'll actually believe it. It's kind of strange."
"How do ye mean?"
"Well... for example, if the party is at night and I know that that month I will be the werewolf, I can say something like, "I really want to come to your party but I'm afraid I turn into a werewolf at the time, could you make it during the day?" and he'll just laugh and tell me that he will do that. But I think he really believes it because every time that's happened, he's truly done it."
"I see..."
"You wanna come?"
"Me?" Merida laughed as she wiped her cheek and flour got on it. "I dinnae ken a Scottish lass, much less a servant class one, would be welcome to such a party."
"But who am I supposed to take?" he said with a pout. "That's one of the benefits of being my maid: you get to come and be my dates to the parties and such."
"Really now? Is that a requirement?"
"No, it's just a perk. There are two reasons for it." He walked over to where she was and climbed back in the chair. "One is that I need someone to watch out for any signs of my transformations (whenever they are) and two, going to a party like that without a date is disastrous."
"How is that? Wouldnae it make ye available for some fine filly to come and take ye away?"
"That's the thing, I need someone to judge said filly."
"Judge?"
"Yeah... see... well, it has to do with the cure for the curse. I won't tell you unless I find the one I believe will help me but, you just have to make sure I don't fall in love with any of them. You need to be my bodyguard and fake whatever so that I don't try... just know that it would be very bad if that happened."
Merida sighed as she kneaded the bread on the counter.
"I dinnae what ye're talking about but I will try my best. So should I send word that ye're going to be there?"
"Yeah. Just give it to Fuscia and she can forward it."
"Alright... are ye going to just stand there or help me knead this bread? Ye're the one who asked for it..."
Higgs nodded and leaned over to help her with the bread.