The Truth About Names

"You are my today

... and all of my tomorrows"

"A hoax..." The words echoed in Jourdan's mind, but still couldn't grasp what she was claiming.

The girl did nothing but scoff, offering her hand to Jourdan, who was still sitting on the ground. He subconsciously took her hand and let her pull him up.

"God... don't let me do all the work, will you?" Elle muttered, snapping his thoughts back into place.

Quickly, Jourdan dusted himself off, and grabbed Elle by her hand. "But it can't be a hoax! You've seen the success, it's guaranteed to work!"

"Nope... If people truly believe in something, they'll make it happen. It's like if you force yourself to love a song or a movie or a game just because you believed so much that'd it'd be good." Elle shrugged. "It's like that."

"Then..." Jourdan's words faltered a moment, before he continued. "Then why are you dressed up?"

Elle turned, not expecting him to say anything about how she was dressed. "Oh, my family believes in it. That doesn't mean that I have to."

He loosened his grip on her hands, as his own began to fall. But, instead of saddened remorse, anger boiled in Jourdan's veins. "Then why did you even come here? I have waited my whole life for this, and you're just gonna leave because you don't believe it?" And just as fast, that anger fell into sadness. "What am I supposed to do then? Ever thought about that? While you were off believing that this all was a lie, I was thinking about you..."

The words felt funny in Elle's ear. They rang with such soft sadness, she truly felt remorse for the tall teen in front of her. Her mind blanked as she stared into his glacial blue eyes. She sighed softly, gently bringing her hand to grasp the soft cotton shirt of his forearm, causing Jourdan's eyes to shoot up at her in surprise. "I came... to prove it. I'm not leaving forever. I won't leave you by yourself. I'm not that heartless, I promise. And we can always be friends, but I know that you aren't gonna like the real me. And I probably won't like the real you. Not like that."

Taking an unexpected reaction, Jourdan gave a small snort with a smirk on his face. "You know what you just said? You said that you probably won't like me. Which means, it's not completely out of the park yet."

Elle was shocked. 'This boy was just pouting, then he gets off by saying that?' The thought rang awkwardly in her mind as she just stood silently.

However, he took this moment as his chance, swiftly cupping part of her face and placing a soft peck on Elle cheek. She managed to push Jourdan off of her quickly, but not fast enough to hide the strong blush spreading across her cheeks. Chuckling softly, Jourdan ran his hand softly through his hair. "If you are going to prove that we don't belong together, then I'm going to prove that we do belong together. I guess only time can show what will happen to us."

"I... accept your challenge. I won't go easy on you, just because you believe in this." Elle muttered, still embarrassed by the hue of her slim face.

Jourdan's heart raced at her words. "Sweetheart, I wouldn't want it any other way."

Elle didn't stay to find out what else he had to say, for when Jourdan looked back up, she was already walking away. Refraining from another chuckle, he staring at her fleeting figure. "You forgot to tell me your name!" He shouted out to her, causing her to stop dead in her tracks.

As Elle shouted it, Jourdan couldn't help but smile. It was so close to his idea, it actually shocked him. "Well, miss Elle. Until next time. Hmm, what shall we say, next week, same time?"

Elle shrugged. She honestly didn't care, she just wanted to get out of there. She thought that her mind was ready for the charming attitude, but Jourdan was different. He had such a quirky way of talking that Elle didn't know how to defend herself. And that was something she couldn't do. To prove this, Elle knew she had to be always ready. And now that she knows who Jourdan is, she knew how to act.

"Alright then. Next week, 6:30, at the walkway between Jefferson and Alstream. I shall bid thee farewell. Until next time, my dear Elle." Once more, Jourdan laughed as he turned to walk away.

"Wait!" She called out, suddenly remembering what she was once going to ask. "You haven't said your name either!"

"That, my lady, is a secret. You will learn next week. I'll give you a hint if you guess!" He teased.

Elle softly bit her lip and began walking back to Jourdan, who also started coming back. The sight of Elle purely concentrating made Jourdan blush, however he was much more skilled at hiding himself as the bright red splashed across his cheeks. "I'm guessing it'll start with a J..."

A broad smile flashed and just before he was going to spoil it for her, she looked up at him, confidence shining brightly. "Is it... Jourgen?" She cracked a smile at the odd name.

"Close, close. Just like the name I picked out for you, don't you want to know?" He waited for her to reply, but decided to continue as she stood there, unwavering. "It was Ellette. Elle, Ellette? Pretty close. You got the J, just messed up on one of those consonants. Think about it, you'll figure it out eventually."

At that, he started walking back towards his car, and Elle towards the opposite direction. Both taking a different moment to glance back as their soulmate.