Chapter 2

"Closing down in five", the loudspeakers blared. Workers from other rooms and cubicles could be both seen and heard scurrying around frantically, trying to save their progress, organize their work, and pack up before the building closed for the day. Working hours were coming to an end and cars crowded the roads, the asphalt glistening with a light rain.

Joe had ended up doodling robots and mythological creatures all over his Photoshop canvas and Mike's eyes had glazed over from staring at a basic layout for the past hour. He hadn't gotten past a couple of food designs and was ready to scream in utter frustration. Unfortunately, this would grab the attention of Frank or one of his advisers, who would certainly wish to catch up on their progress... which wasn't going well at the moment.

Well, at least we'd gotten somewhere. Mike thought optimistically, but sighed. Who am I kidding. This is fucking stupid, we're barely making any progress.

He clicked 'file' and 'save', then snatched the flash drive from the USB port at the side of his laptop. Sliding the device into his messenger bad, Mike shoved a grey beanie onto his head, slipped into a black leather jacket, and slung the bag onto his shoulder.

Joe, packing up, wiped away the crusty eye discharge that had gathered at the canthi of his eyes.

"Get any work done?" he yawned.

"Not much, just a basic layout. To be honest, I have no idea where we're going with this shit. You got any ideas?" Mike ran his fingers through his hair anxiously.

"Haha... no."

"Well, we can easily discuss it on the way home," he offered.

"Yeah, sure. I actually have a couple of ideas but I can't exactly explain them. Maybe you can help me out here, Shinizzle." Joe grinned impishly.

"Sure, dude. Let's get going, then." Mike headed out the door, adjusting his messenger bag, while Joe lugged his backpack behind them tiredly. As the two headed down the hallway, they occasionally acknowledged other coworkers they recognized through the open doors. Everyone was quite familiar with each other because they'd all worked with each other at some point before.

"Hey Lewis, how are the kids? Good, good!"

"Yo, Tommy boy, my man!"

"How're ya doin' Susan?"

"Lookin' good, Mark! New haircut?"

Heading out the exit with a couple of other people, the door swinging shut behind them, each of the employees fanned out and headed their way home.

Joe eagerly bounded towards Mike's car; they had arranged a carpool with each other, alternating every week. The older man wearily whipped out his keys and pressed the 'unlock' button. The sleek black Mercedes' lights flashed twice and the locks clicked.

Mike slid into the driver's seat while Joe hauled his bag into the backseat and settled into the front passenger's seat.

"Just give me a sec, I'm completely exhausted..." Mike yawned and his eyes drooped as he turned over to lie on his side.

Two minutes passed.

Joe poked his friend impatiently.

"You know, dude, you might as we'll let me drive us back to the apartment before you end up driving the car into a ditch or something because you're half asleep." And I guess we won't be discussing our work either, he thought

"Yooou... yeaaaaassh... uhhh..." he drawled, then began snoring gently. Joe immediately popped out the side of the car and came over to the driver's side. Mike hadn't fully closed the door yet so he creaked it open a smidgen.