Chapter Three

Hannah's smile falters, a big frown settling on her face instead. "Charlie, are you okay?"

My first thought is no. I mean, I've never been one to fangirl much, but it still takes me a moment to swallow past the big lump in my throat.

Hudson is a freaking rockstar—and not just any rockstar either, but one of the most famous ones out there. And if I remember correctly from one of Monica's celebrity rants, the ones I usually tune out, he's only twenty-five.

If I don't pay attention, that little fact can give me a complex. Even though I'm only twenty-three and about to open my own business, it's nothing compared to Hudson.

Okay, deep breath. None of this is a biggie, right?

Oh, who am I kidding? Of course, it's a big deal—though, if I'm honest, my issue is more with his good looks than anything else. I have a feeling that if I don't pay attention, Hudson can be a distraction for me—even if I just stare at him all day long. Which definitely wouldn't be a hardship. I'm already getting distracted just thinking about him. Giving myself a mental shake, I snap out of this moment, realizing I've been staring at the two of them like a total moron.

"Uh...what?"

Two big thumbs up for me. Surely, no one knows how to make a first impression like I do. Between the flying dough and the rest of my behavior, he probably thinks I'm a total nutcase.

I close my eyes for a moment and take a deep breath, begging for my brain to please let us get through this day without any further embarrassments.

"You look a little pale there." Hannah lets go of Hudson and walks over to me. I try to put on a small smile, but I'm not sure I succeed. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to throw you under the bus like that. I just have this weird rule that I don't tell anyone what my family does for a living until they meet them."

She looks sincere, yet at the same time, I spot a hint of a mischievous glint in her eyes. At this point, I can only hope she isn't up to something.

Shaking my head at her, I feel a little guilty for worrying her. Because let's face it: her family, her rules. "No, no, you're fine. I was just surprised, that's all."

Both Hannah and Hudson wear identical frowns. It doesn't seem like I've convinced either one of them. Even Mira—who's been oddly quiet in Hudson's arms—looks at me like she can see straight through my lie.

I let out a little sigh, rearranging things on the counter so my hands have something to do. "Well, under those circumstances, we should definitely move out. I'm sure the last thing you need right now is two extra guests in the house, especially when they're strangers and one of them is a loud baby." I glance at Hudson, only to look away again quickly.

Taking advantage of other people bugs me, even if they only mean well. I think I declined Hannah's offer to temporarily live with her for a little while about fifty times before she finally wore me down. I don't want to be in anyone's debt—or way—unless I absolutely have to.

Hudson is still frowning when I peek up at him through my lashes. There's no denying the irresistible vibe that surrounds him, and I'm sure there aren't a lot of people who refuse him anything—probably more so the opposite. Usually, I don't have any issues telling people no, but for some reason, I already feel like Hudson will test me more than anyone else has ever done before.

What if I can't handle it?

The last year has been an absolute nightmare, and I'm so glad I've finally started to slowly get back on my feet. The last thing I need is some sort of scandal involving this super popular rockstar, especially when he taunts me in his workout gear like this morning. I'm not a robot. I'm sure even I can't resist that forever.