Chapter Twenty Four - Falling Snow With A Falling Soldier

Alex’s POV

I was the first to wake up. Jack was still fast asleep beside me so I sat up and slid off the bed, being careful not to disturb him. I decided to check the weather outside seeing as the past couple of day had been cold and stormy. As I peered through the curtains, a bright white blaze shone back at me. “HOLY SHIT!”
“AHHHHHHH!” I didn’t realise how loud I shouted. “WHAT THE FUCK ALEX. I WAS SLEEPING!”

“Sorry, but it’s snowing outside!” His face lit up as he jumped out of bed and ran over next to me and pressed his face up against the window. “Oh my fucking god. Isn’t it like 3 days till Christmas too?” I nodded, as Jack looked right into my eyes. “It’s going to be a white Christmas and we’re going to be able to share it with each other!” He wrapped his arms around me but I frowned when I heard Jack say that. I couldn’t leave my mum alone at Christmas, but I couldn’t leave Jack either. “Jack I need to tell you something. I need to be with my mum for Christmas but I also want to be with you.”
“What are you suggesting by saying this?”

“That you either stay here or you come back to Baltimore with me. If you stay here, I don’t know when I’d be back again to visit.”
“I can’t leave here Alex. There’s no way Amanda would let me go back home.” I sighed, returning my gaze to the snow falling outside. “Can you just try for me Jack? I’d prefer being with both you and my mum for Christmas. Just imagine, sitting beside the fire with me, unwrapping presents frantically. It’d be amazing.” I looked into Jack’s eyes pleadingly. “Fine, you’ve sold that to me so all of what you just said better happen on the day.” I threw a cheeky smile at him as he turned to walk to his wardrobe. “It will and more.”

“What does that mean?” He looked back at me with a quizzical look. “You’ll just have to wait and see.” I walked forwards and kissed him on the cheek. “Now get dressed so you can go and ask Amanda.”

Jack’s POV

I hobbled down the stairs decorated with tinsel to find Amanda sat at the reception desk in the main hallway. “Hey Jack, have a nice sleep?” I nodded. “I was wondering uh, is it possible for me to go back to Baltimore to spend Christmas with Alex and his mum?”
“Just for Christmas?” I nodded again. She sighed. “You understand the risks of this right?”
“Yes, I’ve discussed it with Alex.”

“Well I can let you go but that means you will not come back here ever again. You moving back to Baltimore for just a certain number of weeks and then back here afterwards could make it possible for your parents to find you. I don’t think you want that to happen now do you Jack?” I shook my head. “So I can stay back home again now?”
“Yes, but with supervision once every two weeks or so to see how you’re getting along.” I grinned at her. “Thank you Amanda!” I hugged her over the desk. “You’re welcome. I can give you and Alex the lift back to Baltimore but only at 11 tonight. It’s best to set off at night. I’ll drive you all the way to a station in New York and then you can get the train from there back to Baltimore.”
“I’ll go and tell Alex, thank you!”
“Remember to pack all of your stuff!” I ran back up to my room and then when I got to the door I paused. Maybe I should pretend I’m not allowed to go back to Baltimore and then actually tell Alex the truth. I composed myself before walking in with a faked frown on my face. “So can you come back home?!” I shook my head. “Amanda won’t let me. She said it isn’t safe.” I didn’t even make eye contact with Alex because I knew that if I did I would burst out laughing. “But I can’t just leave you here for Christmas by yourself Jack.” I heard him begin to cry through his talking. I looked up to see his face already full of tears. Now was the time to tell the truth. “I WAS JOKING!” I flicked both of my arms up into the air and made an excited expression appear on my face. “You what?” Alex wiped the tears off his face. “I’m allowed back to Baltimore and it’s not just for Christmas.”
“Wh-what do you mean?”
“I’m allowed to stay back home in Baltimore!”
“OH MY FUCKING GOD JACK I AM GOING TO KILL YOU, COME HERE NOW!” Alex leapt forwards pushing me over and down onto the bed, landing on top of me which led to him tickling my sides. “YOU LITTLE SHIT JACK. YOU HAD ME SO FUCKING WORRIED YOU’D HAVE TO SPEND CHRISTMAS BY YOURSELF!” He stopped tickling me and looked down at me and into my eyes. “Will anybody be checking up on you since you’re staying back in Baltimore then?”
“Amanda said somebody would probably come and see how I’m getting along every two weeks or so, so not that much really.” Alex smiled at me, as he got closer to my face. “God damn I love you Jacky.”