Attack From The Shadows

Kiara tilted her head back, staring up at the gray clouds above. Her gray eyes bore a haunted look as the rain drops splashed across her cheeks, "This was my fault. He was looking for me, and you nearly got killed."

     "Don't take that personally," Hunter told her with a sigh, brushing himself off, "That happens all the time."

     "Don't lie." Kiara said softly, her eyes closing, "He was only after me. He told me so."

     "No, it's- wait, it told you? As in, spoke to you?" Hunter stared at her, his dark eyes widening, "Shadowbeasts don't speak, Kiara."

     "They do. I heard him." she pulled a strand of her white hair over her shoulder, rubbing the strands between her fingers as in deep in thought. "He told me he wanted to eat me. That was his mission."

    "Shadowbeasts don't have missions either," Hunter brushed raindrops away from his eyes as he continued to stare at her. "They attack randomly. But... was that all it said?"

     "It said that it had to complete its mission. That was his job. And if he didn't complete it, he'd have to face... Carnirus."

     "Face what?"

      "Something called Carnirus. I'm pretty sure that's what he told me." Kiara said softly, turning her head to look over at him.

     "Carnirus..." Hunter muttered, thinking it over, "Doesn't sound familiar. Do you know anything called a Carnirus?"

     "I do not. But I must leave you," Kiara turned away, "Staying will get you hurt or worse. It was nice meeting you, Hunter."

     Hunter crossed his arms, "If you go, you'll get yourself killed. And don't tell me you're a ghost so you can't die, because being killed by a shadowbeas sends you into nonbeing. You won't exist anymore."

     Kiara stared at him for a long moment, her head cocked to the side. "Why do you care if I stay or go?"

     Hunter scowled, "You're my friend, right? One of two. And if I can help you, I will. Besides, you could help me figure out why there are so many shadowbeasts around all of a sudden."

    Her head tilted even more to the side, "Is it?"

     "Er... what is?"

     "Is it all of a sudden? Or have they just been coming from somewhere else?" Kiara asked, her gray eyes shining with curiosity.

     "Well... I suppose it's possible..." Hunter said thoughtfully, his mind drifting as he considered the possibility, "I think Raxus mentioned something about a Shadow Kingdom... but it was awhile ago."

     "Shadow Kingdom?" Kiara's brow furrowed in concentration, "Where the shadowbeasts come from?"

     "Yeah... I think there was something about how shadowbeasts were created... but I don't remember." Hunter rubbed his forehead, "We can talk to Raxus tomorrow. But for now, let's just go home and try to sleep."

    "I don't sleep."

     "Oh, right. Er... sorry?" Hunter wasn't sure how to respond, so he just shrugged it off, "Anyway," he began as they walked back down the street, "Once we figure out how a shadowbeast is created, we might be able to do something about this entire mess. You with me?"

     Kiara hesitated, thinking it over, then gave a small nod, "Only until we get attacked again. I don't wish to destroy the peace of the living."

    Hunter grinned, stomping his foot in a puddle enthusiastically, "Great! So tomorrow we'll get answers."

     They continued to walk down the street, then they turned the corner. And Hunter froze, staring at his house, his jaw dropping. About five shadowbeasts were snuffling around outside his house, across the street from where Hunter and Kiara currently stood. And the biggest of the five looked up, its glowing red eyes staring straight at them.