Stoke's Story

Carnirus surged towards Stoke, and the man ducked nimbly beneath, striking back with a smooth kick that caught the Shadow King in the jaw. Carnirus wasn't even fazed, his knee lodging itself into Stoke's stomach and making him double over. But he rolled away before Carnirus's elbow snapped down onto his neck.

     The shadowbeasts nearby howled eerily, but seemed confused. They made no move to attack either of the fighters.

     Kiara got to her feet, trying not to look at Hunter's body as she faced the two obviously powerful men. But her eyes were on Carnirus as a mixture of tears and blood ran down her face. "Carnirus!!" she screamed, her voice tearing at her aching throat.

     He made the mistake of glancing over, and Stoke's fist made contact with his face. He flipped back landing in a crouched position on his feet, "So what if he's dead? He can't come back, so thats a good thing for me! A being killed by a ghost can't come back as such, so it's actually good that he's dead."

     He slid easily away from another one of Stoke's attacks, flipping smoothly over his opponent's head, and his feet made contact with the back of the head. Stoke was knocked forward, but he rolled to his feet before Carnirus could land anymore hits, and spun around with a blow that landed in Carnirus's chest.

     Kiara looked around desperately. Even without the crystal's power backing him up, Carnirus was too powerful for Stoke to defeat. Her roaming gaze caught sight of Hunter lying limply on the ground, and she inhaled sharply. This madness needed to stop, so he had not died for nothing.

     Thick clouds covering the moon began to let down a light drizzle of rain onto them, though she found she couldn't feel it. Anything that was from this mortal world would become but an illusion to her again. And now she had no Hunter to talk to. Loneliness crashed into her, but she let out a shaky breath. She needed to help Stoke now.

    A wind picked up, and moonlight was freed from behind the clouds in a small patch of clear sky. The streets were soaked in silver light, and she heard a faint voice behind her.

    "On the night of All Hallow's Eve, the only magic in the crystal is that from moonlight."

     Kiara spun around, and she saw with shock Melody floating behind her. There was a pleading look in the transparent face of the spirit, and Kiara hesitated. Then she understood Melody's words.

     "Stoke!" she screamed above the sound of the battle and the wailing of the shadowbeasts, "The moonlight! The crystal draws power tonight from the moon!"

    Stoke's yellow eyes flickered with understanding, but the silver rays only escaped in patches from the rain clouds. He was standing in shadow.

    Stoke rolled away from Carnirus, his lip busted and bleeding badly. He sprinted towards the silver washed street ahead of him, but Carnirus tackled him to the ground. Stoke rolled with the added weight, then tossed Carnirus off. The Shadow King's staff appeared again in his hand, and he sprinted forward.

    The sharp end cut through Stoke's shoulder, but the former dragon rolled away. And with waning strength, he skidded to a halt beneath the moonlight.

    Carnirus refused to hesitate, bringing his staff forward into the moonlight at Stoke. But the wounds on the man began to heal before their eyes, and Carnirus spat a curse. Having eaten the crystal, the powers were inside of Stoke.

     With a roar worthy of his dragon form, a burst of white flame leapt into the shadows, curling around Carnirus. The smell of burning flesh filled the air, but Carnirus pulled free. He fell onto his knees in front of Stoke. But he didn't make a move to stand. Instead, he laughed, tossing his head back with maniacal laughter.