The Battle of All Hallow's Eve

The might of Carnirus's army poured through the streets of Hunter's home town, howls and barks cutting through the once still night air. Claws clicked across the asphalt streets as the massive Shadow Dragon whipped around to face them. Stoke's scaly black tail batted away the oncoming hoard of vicious Shadowbeasts, and the dragon turned its face to Hunter and Kiara.

     "I can only stall for so long," he growled, "You must get the crystal from Carnirus and give it to me. I can handle the rest after that."

     Hunter stared at the black dragon in awe, having never seen a creature anything like it before. But Kiara nodded, catching Hunter by the wrist, "And then you'll destroy it?" There was something in the dragon's cunning eyes that made her doubt him. Something that made her disinclined to hand over something of such power. Dragons were terribly self-centered and clever creatures, though up until now she hadn't had that choice.

     "Of course," Stoke rumbled, turning on sharp claws the size of small cars to face the regrouping Shadowbeasts. "Now go- hurry, before the crystal heals itself from our last attempt."

     Hunter took off at a run after Kiara, staying on the opposite side of the fierce Shadow Dragon. Kiara ran along behind him, though running took her no effort as she drifted above the sidewalk. Hunter swerved around a corner, his eyes leaping from the ground to the roof that he knew Carnirus was watching the battle on.

     "Up there," he said, and Kiara pointed to a windowsill to his left. He grinned at her, and she pushed him towards it.

     "Hurry," she told him, then faded through the brick to join him on top. His fingers curled around the windowsill as he lifted himself off of the ground. The sharp edges of the brick cut into his fingers as he heaved himself onto the roof. He felt his hand slip, slicing itself open on the brick, but a hand grabbed his arm before he could fall. Hunter glanced briefly over his shoulder at the rocky ground beneath him as Kiara pulled him up.

     "Carnirus!" Kiara shouted over the bellows of the dragon as it battled the dark monsters, and the Shadow Lord cast a glance over his shoulder at them.

     Carnirus turned slowly around to face them, his yellow eyes flickering with annoyance, "Tell me that beast is not called Stoke." 

"... he is," Hunter said as he exchanged glances with Kiara, "Why? Do you know him?"

     Carnirus curled his lip, a look of pure hatred filling his eyes, "He is hell," he snarled, whipping around to face the beast. He gripped the staff with the dark crystal mounted on it tightly in a clenched fist, and sprang at Stoke. The wind slung him towards Stoke's face, and Carnirus raised the staff above his head to bring it down.

     Kiara leapt off of the edge of the roof after him, the wind catching her vaporous form in its gust, and she tackled Carnirus away from Stoke. They both crashed down onto the roof across the street from Hunter, rolling down the sloped surface.

     Hunter cursed under his breath, turning to drop down off of the building.

     Kiara caught herself on the rooftop, pulling herself to her feet. She heard a clatter, followed by a shout from Carnirus, and she peered down to see him reaching desperately for the staff, which was sliding off of the shingles.

     Hunter, who was racing up the street towards them, spotted it lying beside a storm gutter in the side of the curb. He sprinted towards it as Carnirus dropped down for it, but Kiara slid off of the roof. She crashed down onto Carnirus as he lunged for the staff, and he fell. Hunter scooped up the staff in his hands, clutching it tightly.

    "To Stoke!" Kiara cried, and he turned to run.

     Carnirus caught her by the throat, slamming her into the ground. She tried to make herself slip through his fingers as any ghost could, but a ghost could not phase through another ghosts' grip. She gasped as he hurled her into Hunter, and he fell beneath the impact. Kiara rolled swiftly off of him, but Carnirus grabbed Hunter by the shirt collar, lifting him from the ground. The blow dealt to his gut made him choke, doubling over as blood filled his mouth. He was dropped to the ground, and Carnirus turned to Kiara.