Christmastide at Court

15 December 1517
Diana arrived at court with a choking feeling in her throat, accompanied by Clara, Margaret and John. She was filled with dread now the moment had come to marry the King—or more dread than before anyway.
Thomas Cromwell loomed in her mind, and Diana wished to God that she had not been so foolish.
Time passed, and her reluctant wedding seemed ever more awful in Diana's eyes.
"Shall my ladies in waiting arrive soon?"Diana asked, the day before their wedding. She sat at a table for two with the King just as they were being served dinner, and Thomas Cromwell (irritatingly) stood behind her betrothed, gazing at her helplessly.
"Yes, sweetheart. I have asked for the Ladies Catherine Starling, Mary Sutherland and Lucy Herbert to remain at court for the role, and my dear friend Sir Robert Westover has suggested to bring his daughter back from the French court. Would you like that?"
Diana didn't like the idea of a Westover girl as her maid, as they, the Westerlys and the Cavills were rivals.
"Oh,"she replied reproachfully, "I should like that... Perhaps. But what is her name? How old is she? Tell me about her."
Henry stroked his thin beard thoughtfully.
"Her name is Leia Westover, I think. She is fifteen-years-old, and has five sisters and two brothers. I think she is the youngest-but-one: her younger sister, Katharine, is ten. But apart from that...." Diana's stomach turned over. What if she was replaced by this Westover girl? No, she must be as appealing to the King as possible now that she was in this mess.
"Let her come, then,"Diana said prettily, smiling at a servant who took her desert plate. Diana knew how to attract a man, that was easy enough for any capable girl with charm and a pretty face. Holding his attention would be the hardest part, especially with so many other beautiful women at court...

"Wonderful. I shall tell Sir Robert. Now—shall we go to bed?"whispered the King.
Diana, trying not to look repulsed, replied "Your Majesty would like to go to bed already? It is a great wonder that you have kept your hands off me until now."
At first, Henry looked like he was wondering what to say to that remark. But, as a King should, he collected himself quickly.
"It is, isn't it? Now, I shall wait until tomorrow for you, but I am expecting the wedding to go perfectly,"he purred, standing up and going to stand by her shoulder.
"Pity,"sighed Diana, mock-sadly, and she held her breath as the King put his hand on her shoulder.
"You think?"laughed the Henry, crouching so he could look up at Diana.
"Well,"she pondered, "I think....."
"Yes?"
"That you all may leave!"she concluded, shouting to the servants and Cromwell. They bowed, the latter rather reluctantly, and left.
"Is that all you think, Mistress Diana?"asked the king, tracing his fingers along Diana's white neck.
"No. I think..... I think..."
"Say it,"dared Henry, cupping her chin in one palm.
"I think that I should like to kiss you,"she resolved, and wrapped her arms around his neck with a seductive smile. "But what do you think?"
"I think....."said the King, pretending to consider, that that is a very good idea." He kissed her passionately, and Diana responded as willingly as she could.

But secretly, both of them were wishing that the other was someone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

16 December 1517
Diana was actually very disappointed.
She had fantasised about how Henry would lavish gifts on her and how he would make the wedding as grand as possible for a pretty girl like her.
But there was no wedding reception, no toasts to the new queen, no cheers as she and the King paraded through the streets on white horses. Nothing like Sophia's wedding! There wasn't even a white ball in the throne room after the wedding, which Diana had especially looked forward to.
Just the ceremony with a few witnesses, the Bishop of London and some other men. The dress was her best white gown that the King had given her, while he stood in ordinary clothing at the altar. The shame!
There was a little wedding feast though, with the King's close friends, and Princess Margaret. She sat staring at the Queen's brother the whole night. Diana, rather upset by the outcome of it all, went to her new chambers where her past fellow ladies-in-waiting dressed her in a linen shift. She knew their expressions meant that they were all jealous. She knew that they wished it was them.
"Thank you,"said Diana awkwardly, as Lady Mary plaited her wild black hair.
Catherine smiled encouragingly–but the others remained blank and silent.
"What is the matter with you all?"Diana asked loudly, pulling away.
"Nothing, My Lady,"mumbled Mary, tying a knot. She and Catherine left, and Lucy made to follow them.
"Not just yet, Lady Herbert,"said Diana, "what are you thinking?"
Lucy raised her red eyebrows, and leaned towards the Queen.
"You're a witch and a murderer,"she hissed, "a harlot and a whore."
Instantly, Diana slapped Lady Herbert with as much ferocity as she could muster.
"You... Bitch! How dare you? I shall make sure that the King knows about this!"
"Tell him. Feel free! Everyone knows that the late Queen, God bless her soul, died because of you. He'll accept it. Your Majesty,"she bobbed a stiff curtsy and left the room. Diana fell to the floor in astonishment. Was this really what courtiers thought of her?
"Sweetheart, what are you doing on the floor? It is not at all as comfortable as your new bed..."said the King, shutting the door behind him. Diana looked up, praying that her eyes weren't red, and smiled.
"Just...... Just picking up a pearl. It fell off my gown,"she replied hastily, tugging a pearl from the hem of her shift and showing it to him.
"I'll ask for a new one to be made,"smiled Henry, throwing his own gown to the floor.
Diana watched him with interest, grinning mischievously at the sight of his naked body. She turned her back to him and slipped her shift off of one shoulder, batting her eyelashes over it. Diana noticed the light of desire that sparked in the King's eyes, and she relished that desire as long as she could. Still smiling seductively, she let the whole shift drop to the floor slowly, so that it revealed her smooth, shapely back.
The King opened his mouth to say something, but no words came out; Diana turned to face him, one hand on her curved hip.
"Yes, Your Majesty?"she purred, tossing her plait out and pulling her black curls around her white shoulders as if posing for a monochrome nude portrait.
He strode up to Diana, eyes fixed on her body. She wrapped her arms around Henry's neck and fixed him with her bright green eyes.
"Won't you come to bed?"she said quietly, kissing him lightly on the lips.
"Diana..."he sighed, wrapped his arms around her slim waist, and held her in a kiss.
"Yes, Your Majesty?"she breathed, pretending to inhale his body scent with pleasure.
"Wife,"the King whispered softly, "bed." He picked her up and threw her on the bed in one flowing movement.
"Yes, Your Majesty,"repeated Diana, as Henry climbed on top of her.
"I think,"mused Henry thoughtfully, stroking her flat belly and swollen breasts with a casual air, "that I will savour tonight with you."