They Must Never Know

"So this is why you always avoided the question,"sighed Lord Bradley. Anna nodded nervously.

"Please Edward, there are reasons why I could not tell you!"she replied, her eyes wide with worry.

"Like what?"he asked, his tone sour with sarcasm. "That you had too much pride to tell me, the only person that seems to care about you?"

"I have no pride left in me,"replied Anna, sniffing, "because of what I have had to do for myself. My reputation is in ruins, so there is nothing that can shame me any more."

Lord Bradley turned away.

"As if you had a reputation to ruin in the first place,"he muttered quietly, walking away.

"Excuse me?"demanded Anna, marching indignantly after him. "This is coming from you. You who is only remembered by Her Grace and that Queen Regent for almost throttling your wife in front of them for no reason!"

"THAT IS NOT TRUE! I HAD REASON! SHE BEARS MY NAME, SHE BEARS MY TITLE, SHE LIVES IN MY ESTATE! I AM HER HUSBAND, I HAVE FULL CONTROL OVER HER! LIKE THAT POOR LORD SAXBY, WHO WAS EXECUTED FOR WHAT? FOR PUNISHING HIS WIFE WHEN SHE DESERVED IT! AND THE KING ONLY DID THIS BECAUSE HE HAD AN INTEREST IN THAT WRETCHED USELESS JANE SAXBY! HE HAD COMPLETE POWER OVER HER! WHY WAS IT A CRIME?"

"SO YOU THINK THAT I DON'T KNOW THAT? YOU DON'T KNOW THE THINGS I'VE BEEN THROUGH! SO DON'T YOU DARE TRY AND TELL ME THAT MEN ONLY WANT SONS! I AM PERFECTLY AWARE OF THAT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!"

"You're arguing like a married couple,"came a calm voice from the doorway. Both of them turned, to see Diana Westerly and her little entourage with one arched eyebrow raised.

"Your Grace,"whispered Anna, dropping to the ground as her voice broke.
Lord Bradley managed a stiff bow, his facial expression tight and forced.

"Mistress Anna, Lord Bradley,"replied Diana, nodded at each of them. "I seem to recall Her Highness requesting that you have separate rooms."
"Her Majesty,"corrected Lord Bradley sharply, rather offended on Margaret's behalf.

Diana took a slow step towards him. Her ladies glanced at each other, already knowing what would happen next.
"You think you have the authority to correct me, do you? Lord Bradley? Perhaps you would like it if I addressed you as Mr Bradley?"

Her face was dreadfully close to his, both eyebrows arched seductively and eyes glinting with power.
"Perhaps not,"replied Lord Bradley hastily. "But never-the-less I would appreciate it, Your Grace, if I could have my wife back."
Anna cast a long, dark look at the man standing next to her as if he were mad. Diana, however, softened her expression slightly and turned to walk slowly away from them.

"Perhaps. Perhaps not. She is a good friend to me, when she is here."
As Lord Bradley opened his mouth, Diana's entourage raised their eyebrows in surprise that he dared to answer back to the Queen. "You don't even keep her a court? Then why do you care if I return home with her? I suspect you won't even notice!"
"Lord Bradley, you forget yourself!"retorted Diana sharply, her eyes flaming.
Anna cast a questioning side-glance at Lord Bradley, who conveniently didn't notice.
A servant stepped forwards hastily and guided Lord Bradley to his own room with the occasional "get your filthy hands off of me!"

Diana left gracefully afterwards, and Anna was left quite alone. The young woman (who was not really young anymore) fell to the ground and closed her eyes sadly as if to relieve all the pain and suffering. She thought of her scrawny son and daughter who had been snatched away from her arms as soon as they were born, swaddled in rags and carried off to be low-paid servants.

Anna had barely had any time to look into their eyes, let alone name them, but she had settled for the name Kristin for her daughter (who was approaching six) and Anthony (who was nearly four).
She felt so alone in the world, and her relationship with the only person she loved in the world was on tenterhooks.
Life would be easier for the other people at court if I weren't here. I came to court seeking revenge, but have discovered I don't need it.

Anna turned her head slowly towards the little table in her small chamber. There, lying innocently (and indeed, temptingly) was a rather sharp looking letter opener.
No, Anna.
Yes, Anna you stupid woman.
Don't do this.

Instinctively, Anna rose and stride towards the table swiftly. She ran her fingers slowly over the blade, staring down at it with a thoughtful expression.
Come on, Anna! Do it!

Diana Westerly had decided to go back to pay Anna Talbot a visit. She needed to get to the bottom of the matter, and Lord Bradley was really starting to irritate her.
So, the Queen Consort returned to Anna's chamber unaccompanied without even hesitating. Somehow, she felt strangely drawn to this commoner. It reminded her of the old Diana Westerly back when Court was idle and Queen Sophia still present.

Diana lifted her chin slightly, partially because she wanted to convey power and partially because she did not want to even look at herself. Times had changed, and she was growing tired of wearing gowns with low necklines and sleeves starting level with them. It wasn't something a woman of nearly 26 should be wearing, especially one that was a Queen as well. She then, after pausing quickly, opened the door and stepped in unannounced.

Anna Talbot stood hunched over the little table by the fire, her blonde curls tumbling down her back glowing in the light of the flame. And in her hand was a sharp glistening blade hovering precariously over her wrists...

"Don't do that, Anna Talbot. It is what a poor fool would do. I expected more than suicide from you."
Anna looked up, her eyes gloomy.
"That's a surprise. No one else must even think about me enough to speak that they had 'expectations' of me." Diana raised one eyebrow, and took a seat on the little armchair.

"I—"began Anna, but before she could finish, her voice had broken and she fell at Diana's feet sobbing.
The Queen Consort gazed down at the weeping woman, who had buried her head in the folds of Diana's dress, and both the tone of her voice and her expression softened.

"You, a woman of almost 30, comes to me? For comfort?"

"I have nothing else left,"replied Anna softly, "he hates me."

"Lord Bradley? I suppose he does. That's what keeping secrets does to you."

"But I had to keep my secret! It was the only way that he might—"

"Love you?"finished Diana tiredly. "Don't look at me like that, Mistress Talbot, I've seen the way you stare at him. It's like he's all that matters in the world."

"He is! I have nothing, nothing!"Anna sobbed, "I love him."

"Perhaps,"replied Diana, "but does he know that?" Anna glared up at her gloomily, sniffing.

"No. Nobody knows. Don't you understand, My Lady? They must never know!"