Chapter 2

Keegan screams in pain, as his right shoulder collides with the floor and I can hear the searing crack of his bones splitting. I cancel my filming right away bringing my hand to my mouth and the camera sitting so perfectly on my shoulder comes crashing down, just like Keegan.

I stood there in utter shock; whispers flew by as I watched the basketball court turn from an excited crowd to an empty stadium. Confetti and popcorn covered the bleachers, the only sound remaining was my breathing, and I was left there with my thoughts.

How could Nathan do that to his own team player? Jealousy maybe? I loved Nathan, and I can't seem to process how angry he looked before I captured it all on film. I saw it all happen right here and I'm trying to understand why I'm taking this to the heart but a part of me knows how it feels to have something you loved, and took so much of your time and dedication to be ripped away from you.

I re-framed from where I've been standing for the past ten minutes, looking down and seeing how badly cracked my camera was. There is no way could afford another student loans have a way of getting at you, I pick the camera up and turn to leave, before turning to looking back at how crazy this place was with excitement and now it's just empty.

I look into my pockets to try to find my cell so I can call Nina but I can't, just my luck I forgot I left my phone at the apartment. I slowly walk out, doing my zipper all the way up to my chin. I look to my right and already camera guys and interviews are surrounding the New State Champs and asking them what they'll be doing the coming next season.

A mother is surrounded by interviewers, and she appears to be holding her daughter and crying. "Keegan is my baby, and I can't believe someone would be so terrible and hurt his career this way." Her counties to sob, barring her face into her little girls head.

My heart aches for her, but I couldn't consul her since I didn't even know her son. What would I even say? "Hey, I'm so sorry. Your son was a dick to me, but he didn't deserve this?" No, Jo you can't be that cruel so I just turn my head and start walking in this crazy rain. I shift my hood up over my head, and ducked to the side going unnoticed.

Just when I thought I went unnoticed a voice calls from behind me. "Hey, wait up!" I turn to see a man in a trench coat wearing a hat and a very stumble beard.

"Hi, sorry I'm just trying to head home." I turn back and continue walking, waving my hand in the air to say bye.

He catches up to me, keeping to the same pace as me. "Ma'am, weren't you the only one that was allowed recorded the whole thing?" he raises an eyebrow at me.

I turned to look at him, stopping in my tracks. "Yes I was, what do you need?" I ask, getting restless about this whole situation.

He looks at me baffled, his statue short making me focused on his grey hairs coming out from under his hat "I'll pay you money for the footage." He smiles hoping I would say yes.

"No thanks." I say and continue walking faster.

"I'll give you enough money to fix that camera, and more." I turn around to look at this man strait in the face.

"Why is this so important to you?" I shiver, my breath turning into to fog hitting the cold air.

"You are the only one to witness and videotape Keegan Murray last play, he was supposed to be drafted." He rubs his scruffy beard with a smile. "And well that pretty good news especially his own teammate crushing his career."

How can someone else loss be someone else gain? Keegan may have been rude okay maybe a dick, but no one deserves to have their career taking away from them. But, on the other hand I need a new camera.

"Sorry," I said. "My camera broke and lost all footage," Making Me seem sad about the results.

He grins, digging into his trench coat pocket and handing me a piece of paper. "Here, take this if you change your mind." I look down to see a business card, his face plastered on the front of it with a gleam smile. He worked for the press.

I look up to see him walking away, "I can't change my mind if I don't have the footage!" I yell to his back.

He continues walking, for hopefully last time. What an awful day, saw Nathan today, some prick gets hurt, and a reporter being a pushover. I just want to go home and drink some coffee and watch the damn election. Maybe I'll be alone and not have to deal with Nina's rant about the game, honestly I couldn't care less.

Making it through the cranky yet hasn't broken elevator, it should be broken like the one the never seem to fix in The Big Bang Theory. It rumbles before hitting our floor, jerking itself to the top. I hate heights and yet we live on the highest floor, and the last door and the end of the grungy hallway.

Our door is unlocked, which means that Nina successfully made it home. "Nina!" I yell closing the door behind me placing the camera on the counter taking the microchip out and walking toward her bedroom. Knocking on the door, "Nina? You there?"

"Oh- I'm yes." Her voice muffled, with panic. "Hang on!" She yanks open the door draped in her bed sheets.

I don't understand why people even use sheets that are beyond me. I look at her deranged hair; she looks hilarious enough to where she would be embarrassed. "Another one Nina?" I rolled my eyes at her, seems like I do it too much.

She takes a piece of hair out from her face, "What you need Josephine?" She asks tired out from her recent bang of the night.

I dangled the microchip in front of her face with a giggle. "What do you want me to do with this?"

"You interrupted me for this?" She crosses her arms.

"Well you kind of left me at the basketball game pretty quick, and yeah I did." I cross my arms tapping my foot against the floor.

She leans against the door trim. "I had company to keep, and you'll have to edit it yourself. I can't help with that, usually the other camera guy does it not me."

"Alright." I say before yelling, "You two have fun, be safe, and use protection!" Before closing the door in my face, causing me to laugh.

Nina may seem to be the go get her kinda gal. But deep down inside, she's kind of a fuck girl? I guess you would call it, her job is solid but nothing in the outside world is for her.

Heading to my room sitting at my computer desk I retrieve my cell phone, two missed call and one voice mail. The one missed call was Nathan, which I'm glad he didn't leave a message and then other person my father.

"Hi Joey, it's your dad calling wondering how art school is going." He takes a deep breath, he sounds annoyed yet again with my choice in the subject of art. "Tell me when you're done with that dream and we can get you a real job. Take care, bye." And delete message.

I haven't spoken to Derek in over a year, and every day it gets better and better. My father Derek, a businessman wants me to help with the company taking my mother's place before she passed away. I'm not going to be stuck in a box office telling people that he'll be right with you.

I chose art because it's what made me feel free and be me, and not attend stupid parties built with people who talk about boating in the Caribbean Sea, or how their oysters are to raw. I like this journey and even if I'm getting myself in debut, at least I have a steady job and making my own way in this world. Which is bringing me to editing this god damn video?

I keep rewinding and watch the video over and over again. Watching the crowd's expression goes from happy to horrified, I flicker the card the guy gave me in my hand. I know that I have to edit this and I really need the money, working at the cafe isn't helping me nearly as much as the reporter guy is willing to pay.

Before I knew it, I had grabbed my jacket and took off for the door.