Chapter 16

I stopped as soon as I rounded the corner. Nina was there alright but sitting on the wet concrete before her was a large pool of vomit, in the toilet some if it still trailing from her lips, viscous and opaque. Her once stunning chocolate brown ringlets now vaguely resembled a birds nest and any bows or clips that had once held them in place were long gone.

She turned her head toward me, the caustic fluid coating her mouth said one thing, "Water."

Bolting for the kitchen I grab a glass from the cupboard and reach the tap for water, allowing the cold water to seep into the cup. My brave Nina, always holding such walls up and I didn't notice that she was holding them up with toothpicks and they've been tormented and punctured like no other.

I approach the bathroom in light footsteps, before handing her the cup, "Thanks," She mutters, before pulling her hair into a bun.

"Nina-"

"Josephine, it's okay. This has nothing to do with you, I've been struggling with this for a long time. I knew I was messed up when bulimia started sounding like a solution when induced vomiting was more attractive than just being myself. I wasn't really fat, just not skinny enough, so I tried it. I'd already tried not eating at all and failed, gorged myself on pasta and pie. So it really seemed like the answer, feast, and purge." She smiles receding gums pink and arched against yellowing teeth.

The tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down my face, "I should have seen the signs, I was to busy with my own melodrama, I forgot to take care of you. My best friend who gave me a home when my own stupid father couldn't when my heart was broken you built me up to a million pieces. You have always been there for me, and I don't care about the past anymore because having you here, alive, and breathing means that I get my second chance to rebuild our friendship."

Nina places her hand on the side of the toilet tear brimming her eyes as her frail limbs wrap around my torso causing me to hug her back, "I would love that," She utters softly, pulling back and wiping her tears away.

"Maybe I should stay the night, Nina. I mean, um, let's talk about everything that went on and catch up!" I rested my side up against the door frame as she leads herself to the couch, me following in behind.

"That sounds like a plan!" She chippers in.

We sat in the midst of a sea of candy wrappers and empty pasta bowls. We had binged on every carbohydrate we could lay our hands on. We talked about how she's been going to therapy and has limited her throwing up to once a day, and is slowly making a recovery. Her parents are helping her with the medical bills, and finical while she proceeds to get better.

I told her about the whole Nathan and Keegan thing, and she squealed with happiness as I told her about Keegan and his many kisses that he's placed.

"Oh how I missed you, Josephine," She tilts her head against my right shoulder as we start to watch Friends.

"I missed you too Nina."