Chapter 21 - Part 2

"That was mine," Isabelle said automatically, her temper fraying far too quickly thanks to her lack of sleep and the confrontation with Cora.

"Consider it payment for the privilege of sitting next to me," Graham said, devouring her sandwich in three bites before reaching for another. Shaken from her flower-induced stupor by the arrival of the prince, Cora tossed the honeysuckle away.

"Would you care for one of mine?" she asked Graham, a beatific smile on her face as she leaned forward to offer him a sandwich off her own plate. Isabelle's insides roiled with annoyance as Cora batted her eyelashes up at the prince. Clearly, the knowledge of Graham and Isabelle's kiss had only made the blonde more brazen in her fight for the man she so desired as a husband, heedless of the suitor sitting next to her.

"No, thank you. But I do believe I ought to replenish this plate for you, Miss de Haviland," Graham said, snatching up Isabelle's empty plate and rising smoothly to his feet. "Come with me so I can choose something you'd enjoy."

Isabelle ignored his outstretched hand, her arms having folded themselves of their own accord.

"I'm not hungry," she said flatly. Violet's eyes went wide.

"Of course you aren't," Graham smiled, snagging her by the elbow to haul her to her feet. Once she was upright, Isabelle yanked her arm out of his grasp, doing her utmost to keep as much distance between them as she could.

"I very much dislike being manhandled," she said, folding her arms once again.

"Last night would suggest otherwise," Graham said under his breath, leaning closer so she could hear him. The butterflies swelled in Isabelle's stomach before she could fight them, heat rising in her cheeks. She halted in her tracks, about to turn around when Graham's hand settled onto her back.

"Now now, no running away," he continued quietly. "Unless you're not enjoying how much you're upsetting Anna Hindersley."

Without meaning to, Isabelle's eyes flitted over to where Anna's yellow dress stood out among the other pastel colours of the debutantes' riding attire. Sure enough, Anna's eyes were on them, her lip trembling as her ladies-in-waiting fixed Isabelle with hateful glares.

Isabelle hated the smug satisfaction that was now uncoiling the tense knot twisting in her stomach from the moment she'd noticed the ribbon on Graham's quiver. Disgusted with herself, she didn't think before she spoke.

"You're the one who asked for her stupid ribbon," Isabelle snapped, the words leaving her mouth before she realized what she was saying. Graham laughed as the approached the buffet table, his fingertips grazing along her back as he freed his hand to serve himself.

"There it is, that jealousy you're so adamant about denying," he chuckled, loading her empty plate with sandwiches and pastries. "It suits you, you know."

"I am not at all jealous," Isabelle said a little too quickly. "Especially since only a fool would think that a lady's ribbon could bring him luck."

Graham grinned, biting into a sandwich as he leaned back against the table, contemplating her while he chewed.

"All you have to do is ask, you know," he said, his green eyes glittering as he watched her. "Because I'd gladly kiss you again, more thoroughly this time."

"You are quite possibly the most presumptuous, impudent man I have ever met," Isabelle said, turning on her heel to hide the blush that was was blooming on her cheeks.

Before she could bury it, the thought that she'd very much like to kiss Graham again surfaced in her mind, igniting the very same war of guilt and giddiness that had stolen her sleep.