Chapter 46

Isabelle's plan to enjoy her dinner with Lord and Lady Winters crumbled when it became apparent that Callum had little interest in social frivolities. Whatever weariness the older man felt from his travels hardly showed as he and Isabelle set the foundation for their relationship moving forward. Callum adopted a hard line against many of the changes Isabelle longed to make, which had her fighting down her frustration when they ended up talking in circles.

She was immensely grateful, however, for Marcus' presence and input, something Lord Winters did not argue, if only because her father had so often kept the estate manager by his side during such negotiations. Marcus helped her maneuver around Lord Winters' stonewalling tactics, pointing out negotiable matters she could use to sway the older man.

When the time came to eat, they still hadn't reached any sort of agreement on much of anything. Her temper simmering on the point of boiling over, Isabelle allowed Maighread to lead the conversation throughout dinner. Try as she might to smile and converse, Isabelle knew that she was just as distracted by thoughts of how best to proceed with her negotiations as Callum Winters was. The Lord of Umberwood sat across from her, barely speaking a word as he scowled down into his food.

Isabelle hoped that meant that she was succeeding.

After dinner, they retired to Isabelle's study to finish their conversation before turning in for the night. Having finally touched on all the main topics she'd assumed her guest would want to discuss, Isabelle was fighting a yawn when Lord Winters drastically changed the tack of the conversation.

"I take it you've heard about the unrest mounting among the peasantry," Lord Winters said, as Marcus gathered and organized the papers that had been passed between them. Beside the door, the grandfather clock struck eleven.

"About the king's taxes? Yes," Isabelle said, fighting to keep from itching the ribbon covering the scar on her neck. She was exhausted and in no mood to discuss such prickly matters at so late an hour.

"The taxes," Lord Winters said. "Among many other things. There have been whispers of late about an uprising."

"You and I are nobles. Any uprising by the peasantry would be disastrous for us," Isabelle said, her fingers impatiently drumming the armrest at Lord Winters' words.

"Potentially disastrous," Callum corrected. "Especially if we turn a blind eye to the commoners' struggles. The peasantry are looking for someone to oppose the king, a strong hand to meet his in their defence. It would not be the first time Umberwood and Kentshire discussed an alliance..."

Isabelle remained mute, holding the older man's gaze. She wanted to know exactly what Lord Winters was proposing before she spoke again, so she waited patiently for him to fill the silence.

"Your father and I had long ago discussed an idea to secede from Pretania, joining both our lands with Eastcliffe to stand in defiance of the king," Lord Winters said slowly.

"I will not consider leaving Pretania, not when Kentshire is still so vulnerable to attack by the Germanians," Isabelle said firmly.

"Yes, I expected as much," he said. "Which is why I have another avenue we could choose to pursue."

"And that is?" Isabelle asked, her spine tingling warily.

"A marriage could serve as an alliance between Kentshire and Umberwood that would be far less likely to draw the king's suspicion," he said.

Isabelle tried not to sigh.

"My hand is not up for negotiation, Callum," she said.

"You would have your pick of my sons," he continued, as if she hadn't spoken. "Malcolm would be useful, as he has a head for numbers and figures. Though if you'd prefer a warrior to contend with the Germanian threat, both Alasdair and Duncan would make fine matches. I understand that Samuel has already given his word to another young lady, but I'm certain that something can be arranged if you-"