Chapter 10

Well, to make things even, Dean Gamboa was as surprised as she was. It was completely apparent on his face and his round eyes as he stared down at Jackie. God, how did he get more handsome? He was just wearing a freaking cap!

“You…” she stammered. They were outside work and she didn’t find the need to call him sir. “What are--”

“Miss Ramos,” he uttered, cutting her words with his oh-so-familiar cold voice. “What are you doing here?”

“Why? This is Art District. I was just about to ask you the same question. What are you doing…” Okay, if there was something you should know about Jackie’s past, it was that she once joined an acting class back in high school. And she pulled off a good shocking face as she gaped at Dean Gamboa “Wait a minute…you’re with that band, right? Oh my God!”

The look on her boss’ face was priceless. He pulled his cap deeper down to hide his face as he looked around to see if people heard Jackie’s cry.

“Oh my God, I can’t believe it--”

“Miss Ramos, please don’t tell anyone about this,” he cut off once again.

Jackie gaped at him. Did Dean Gamboa just beg her to keep his secret a secret?

“Miss Ramos,” he said once more to get her attention, his face serious now.

“Yes, of course. Whatever you want,” she said so with a nod. “But why--”

“And don’t ask a lot of questions. Just forget about this. I have to go.” With that, he walked away in haste, throwing her a last glance over her shoulder.

“Aaaaah!” Jackie cried out. She jumped on her feet with excitement. Dean Gamboa was afraid of her now, right? Of course he was! She knew his secret and he knew she knew. He didn’t want anyone to know and she would keep it that way as long as he didn’t do anything stupid, especially at work.

As Jackie walked back to her friends, she was thinking how fate could be so kind to her. Everything was in her favor.

  *****

I didn’t do a lot during the weekend. Dannie was sick so she didn’t go to the church where she usually taught street children how to read. I was stuck outside the apartment with nothing but the motorcycles and other cars to keep me company. They too even had to leave on Saturday night while I got to be on my own. The boys would usually eat out during Saturdays, but they chose to order pizza since Dannie was sick and George was tired from her trip. On Sunday, we went to church. Dannie just had to go because well, she might have thought she would get sicker if she didn’t.

All in all, it was one of the laziest and boring weekends I ever had. I couldn’t wait for Monday. Jackie was excited for the same thing because of one thing: she wanted to see how Dean Gamboa would treat her now that he knew she knew his secret.

  *****

Jackie almost ran her way to the elevators. But her excitement died down when she saw Brian standing by the closed doors, obviously waiting for her with two cups of coffee.

“I already have my coffee, Brian,” she uttered before he could even make the offer.

He started to speak but then he closed his mouth. And that was when Jackie knew that Dean Gamboa was standing right behind her. His car was not yet around when she parked Toto outside. Did he have a gig last night? She asked in her mind.

She didn’t turn around to face him because she didn’t want to see his reaction just yet. But then she remembered Brian was there so she pretended she was looking over her shoulder and then she feigned a startled look when she saw him just a few feet away, dressed in his usual boss Dean getup.