Part 5

Chapter Five

-"Today we will be studying the art of improv" Claire (my theater teacher) announces as she pushes desks to the back of the room.

She pushes the last desk to the wall and wipes sweat from her forehead.

She gives us a look that says: "thanks for helping guys."

-"You can come in by the way, you know you don't need permission" She says, looking at the doorway where we're all still standing.

We all walk inside and sit on the floor where we usually sit.

-"Now that we're all here, who knows what improv is?" She asks.

A girl named Clara raises her hand.

She went to my old school, Gabby thinks she had a crush on me and I think she still does.

-"Clara what is improv" Claire asks, pointing to her enthusiastically.

-"Improv is acting on the spot with no script or planning" Clara answers with a smile.

She looks at me and blushes.

"Do you want to go on a date with me" she mouths.

"Thanks but I'm gay" I respond.

-"You don't look gay" She says in a loud voice.

I feel everyone's eyes on me.

-"Clara I'm trying to teach a lesson here" She says, giving Clara a death stare "Elliott and Derek come to the stage".

The "stage" is just the front of the room with the wooden floor painted black.

I look at Derek and he shrugs.

His hair is down today, his black hair is parted to the right and his bangs go down to the beginning of his eye.

We walk to the front of the room and stand side by side.

-"Class I would like you to come up with a situation and a place for these boys to be" Claire announces.

Many people raise their hands...except Clara.

-"Clara! Why don't you choose where these boys are" She exclaims with a smile.

-"But I don't want to" Clara snaps.

-"Choose or you're here for lunch" Claire snaps back.

-"Fine. They are on the moon" Clara finally answers.

-"Boys be on the moon" Claire demands.

Derek and I walk around in slow motion, raising our feet with each step and making stupid "moon noises".

-"Now class, what situation are these boys in?" Claire questions the students.

A lot of people raise their hands.

-"Yes Kyle, what situation are these boys in?" She asks.

Kyle is an openly gay transguy.

He's pretty cool but we don't talk much for some reason.

He has short rainbow hair that's shaved at the sides and short on the back but grown out and long on the top of his head.

He's been on T for a couple months now and his voice has already deepened so he passes well.

His arm is around his boyfriend Alex's shoulder and they are also holding hands.

Alex has dark blonde hair and icy blue eyes.

Alex isn't open about being bi unless Kyle is with him, Kyle gives him confidence.

-"Eating tiny hamburgers" Kyle responds.

-"Great choice Kyle" Claire turns to us "Eat those tiny hamburgers!".

Derek and I pretend to bite into a tiny hamburger.

-"Wow this burger is great! I'm already halfway done with it!" He exclaims.

-"Really? I finished mine" I respond.

Some people laugh.

-"Alright, alright" Claire says "You can sit now".

Before we sit down the door opens.

-"Glad you showed up Fredrick" Caire says with her arms crossed.

-"Please, call me Fred" Fred replies with his tilted smile that makes his lip ring even more noticeable.

-"Fred is our newest student here at Northington" Claire announces "I'd like one of you to show him around school".

Many people raise their hands, mostly girls.

-"Elliot! You're a nice guy, why don't you show Fred around?" She asks but says it as more of a statement then a question,

Claire and her group gives me a death stare, as well as all the girls in class.

Fred looks in my direction and sees Derek standing next to me (we're still standing at the front of the class).

His face falls from a smile to...a hurt face.

-"Fredrick" Derek says, making direct eye contact with Fred.

-"Derek" Fred replies, biting his lip ring, moving it side to side.