The Thralls

Haylis gives me a fearful look; she too has seen behind the clouds. 'What do we do?'

'We cut them down,' Kathanhiel says.

'But –'

'Right now there are excuses that I could make, ones that are beyond reproach...which is why I shall make none.' Gathering up her weapons, Kathanhiel steps out of the water, waving off Haylis' helping hand with a frown even though her legs are already trembling. As timid rain begins to fall, she raises her face to the sky with eyes closed and stumbles like one lost in a waking dream.

'I know not what they're waiting for – a signal from the Apex, perhaps – but we cannot stand idle as they regroup.' She turns to Haylis. 'Forgives me, dear niece, but there is an errand I must ask of you.'

Haylis' eyes shift between Kaishen and Kathanhiel's face. 'What is it?'

'Go to Iborus.'

'But...what...aren't we already doing that?'

'Take Oon'Shei with you. Ride day and night. With Bobby's speed you'll arrive in four days. The commander will want to send the whole Phalanx, but you need to reject her offer and ask instead a small team armed with dry powder – two hundred would suffice. Have them come to me.'

'What-what about – '

'You'll find no dragons at Iborus,' Kathanhiel says. 'Judging by these numbers, we have succeeded in drawing them away.' Her eyes turn to the sky. 'I'll remain here, keep them drawn to me for as long as we need, and wait for you to return with reinforcements.'

Haylis looks horrified. 'But...you...by yourself...there has to be a way for us to stick together! Why can't we just keep going on the coach? Oon'Shei can pull all of us –'

'Haylis, you're asking him to pull double the weight with half the crew.'

'So what? He can do it. He told me.'

'Of course he did, and when the dragons come he'll be the first to die,' Kathanhiel says softly. 'He'll die because you asked him to carry more weight than he's capable of.'

Haylis' face turns red. 'Then...if not then...I can ride with you on Bobby and Oon'Shei can carry his sister and Kastor can...ride on his shoulder maybe...'

Kathanhiel shakes her head. 'We'll be too slow to spread their numbers.'

'But if you're staying here and not moving you won't spread their numbers at all! Are you saying you're fine with it as long as you're fighting them by yourself?!'

'Yes.'

'Oh Aunt Kath –'

'Enough, Haylis. We cannot sit idle and expect Iborus to come to us. I need you to go.'

'Oon'Shei can –'

'He cannot go alone. Any miscommunication –'

'Then just don't fight them at all!' Haylis bursts out. 'Just hide and let them all go away and do whatever they want –'

Kaishen clamours as it is strikes upon solid steel and sparks explode at Kathanhiel's feet. 'Do not suggest such a thing again,' she says coldly.

With rolling thunder comes a wave of tiny raindrops the size of tears. They hit the roof like sprinkled glass.

'What if you – you don't make it? What will I do?' Haylis asks.

The corner of Kathanhiel's lips rise up in a gentle smile. Already it feels like I've seen that smile a million times, but before now they've always been too...perfect, too perfect and radiant and benevolent to be simple expressions of joy. Now I see what it is: a mask.