Part 1 - De Grenaile Party

• Dedicated to Clayene Dabalos

Chapter 1

October 31, 2011 (Present)

(Catherine Louise just arrived in Hounslow, London from Oxford, England where she finished her studies.)

Louisa was dressed in her cyan silk gown, her brunette hair twisted on top of her head and anchored with blue-rose clip. She wore sapphire earrings and necklace. She turns around in the full length mirror, looking so satisfied with her outfit. After a few glance, she proceeds to the parlour where her lovely daughter was waiting.

She took Catherine’s hands in her gloved hands.

“How lovely you look in your gown,” she exclaimed, and turned a bright smile to her husband Charles “Doesn’t she, Charles?”

“She does indeed.” Charles said automatically but he seemed preoccupied with something.

Catherine was a bit nervous, and troubled. There would be many old friends and acquaintances at the de Grenaile plantation. Even if her performance and etiquette was flawless, she couldn’t escape with the malicious gaze and criticism, especially she is not part of the family, she’s nothing but a mere adopted daughter to fill the empty space. If she appeared uncomfortable or at odds, the more she would be unsuitable for the family.

Catherine had dressed in the most resplendent gown she owned, a burgundy satin with a high-waist and a stomacher of pearls and diamonds.  The halter laces were well adorned with shining diamonds. The backless gown emphasized her translucent white skin. Her dark-red hair was curled in light ringlets and caught up in the back with three diamond-roses.

“Are both of you ready?” Charles asked Louisa and Catherine in a steady tone.

Louisa and Catherine smiled at each other and nodded.

The large garden at the back of de Grenaile plantation blazed with colourful lights and merriment. It was a typical European ball, the women were delicately beautiful, the men’s looks were hot-tempered and dangerous, the music vigorous, and the gaiety infused with volatile energy.

The ladies were known to dance for hours without tiring, sometimes all night ‘til dawn. Sometimes the young bucks would provoke each other into duels which would be held outside to avoid chaos as they tested their honour and their masculine pride.

The matrons, dressed in satin gowns and elaborated wigs, sat on small silk-upholstered chairs and busily kept each other rapport with the latest gossip, for the details of the newest scandals must be scrutinized.

The married men collected in their own groups, discussing politics, hunting, business and other masculine subjects, while the other young unmarried men went through intricacies of courting the favour of strictly chaperoned young women.