Tris's PoV (Chapter Five)

"Caleb please look at me." My voice shakes with emotion. "She's going to kill me. At least let me say goodbye to my friends."

"You know I can't do that Beatrice." His back is turned to me. "No matter how much I love you, I can't let you do that."

"Caleb!" I sob. "I have nothing! Mom and dad are dead, you're a traitor, and I don't even know if Tobias is alive anymore! Just let me write one letter to my friends."

He turns around, his face flushed with fury. "Do NOT call me a traitor. I'm doing this for the greater good. This research will help all of humanity!"

"Caleb. Please."

He sighs. "This one time Beatrice. This is the only thing I'll do for you." He walks out and returns with a pen and paper. I quickly jot down my letter, it reads: Christina. You have to rescue him. He's alive. Don't worry about me or Four, we'll be fine. Rescue Will and get out of there. Don't return to Dauntless. Go to the fence. Wait for us, and if we aren't there the next morning. Leave. -Tris

I hand it back to Caleb, praying he won't read it. No such luck. He's about to read it when I scream a cry of anguish, falling to the floor and rolling around. Yelling about crows and simulations and my parents, hoping to distract him from reading the letter. It works.

He picks me up off the ground and yells "Help! Someone get a doctor!"

As he carries me off I whisper in his ear. "The letter Caleb, send the letter." He nods and hands it off to someone telling them to send it to Dauntless. I sigh, relieved that I had done it.
-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-

"Well, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her

"Well, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her. I would say that stress, and lack of nutritious foods has brought this on." I open my eyes to see a doctor talking with Caleb. "Best thing for her is rest." They notice I'm awake and they walk towards me. "How are you Beatrice?" The doctor asks as he checks my pulse.

"Um. Fine I guess." They both just stare at me. I feel like I need to elaborate. "My head hurts, but I've had worse." Caleb opens his mouth to say something, but there's a sudden rush of noise outside the door. Then sirens go off.

Jeanine storms in and grabs my hair, forcing me to look up at her. "How'd you do it?!" She screams. Christina must've gotten my letter! She saved Will! "How did you contact them?!" All the blood drains from Caleb's face as I glance at him. I look away to late. Jeanine saw the glance. "You. I knew something like this would happen." She turns to a guard. "Kill him."

"What?! No!" Caleb tries to explain, but the guard grabs him and holds the gun to his head.

"NO! You can't do this!" I yell, struggling to get away from Jeanine. "I tricked him! It's all my fault! I caused a diversion! NO!"

"Beatrice." Caleb looks at me. He's calm somehow. "I love you." The gun goes off. I see the blood spray from my brothers head. His limp form falls to the floor. My brother. The last of my family. Dead.

I sob. I scream. I fight against Jeanine. Something hits me against the side of my head. I don't care because,
I.
Can't.
Think.