Passage 4

Meisha heard the noise of creaking boards when she woke up. She opened one eye carefully and spotted the girl who had slept in her bed, Anna, slowly tip-toeing across her house. She sat up and looked at the girl who was still in her pj's.

  "Alright, gimme a moment to wake up then we'll go to town, okay?" the woman yawned, stretching and waking the hound that slept by her feet.

  "Can you tell me the rest of your story tonight?" Anna asked abruptly. Taken aback, Meisha looked at the girl, puzzled slightly. She then remember what she had told the girl the night before. Meisha paused before looking around and throwing off the blanket that covered her lower half.

  "How about I drop you off in the village, first?" Mei tried dodging the question again, which seemed to work as Anna sighed, then nodded reluctantly. "Just promise to not tell any of the adults what I told you, okay? From this moment on all I did last night was give you some cocoa and then put you to bed. Got it?" Meisha said sternly, needing to know that the adults wouldn't punish the girl because of what she knew.

  "Okay?" Anna seemed to get that she shouldn't talk about the night, but was still puzzled as to why the adults shouldn't know.

  "Alright, let's go now," Mei grabbed a long jacket of hers and then opened the door to see a group of colourless adults huddled in the middle of the Garden. She already knew what they would be gathered about. Meisha lightly pushed Anna out of her house and guided her towards the bridge.

  "You were in charge of her! It's your fault she's gone! What if she left, Eva?" March yelled at her, looking like she could explode at anytime. Meisha was humorously surprised that she hadn't exploded yet.

  "Well, maybe if the little brat hadn't found a way out of the house then maybe she wouldn't have escaped!" Eva shrieked, her obnoxious voice cascading across the field of flowers. Mei was now surprised that they were acting this way. This wasn't their normal mood, they shouldn't have gotten this angered about it.

  "Guys, don't fight! I'm sure Anna is still here, no need to get in a fuss," Dust's calm voice hushed the crowd over. Meisha's breath caught her throat, but bravely continued her walk. Dust's back faced away from the pair of girls walking towards the anxious group.

  Meisha breathed in deep, trying to calm herself after hearing Dust's voice. As Anna and herself approached the group, Mack had begun yelling again, this time about how if one could get away, they all could.

  "Ahem, are you looking for this runaway?" Meisha shakily said, leading Anna towards the party of grown ups. Mei's eyes darted to Dust for a moment, then quickly looked away. If she didn't stay long, Meisha knew she'd be okay once she left.

  "And what would you be doing with her?" Eva accused, pursing her lips and darting her eyes from the little girl towards Meisha.

   "None of your business, Eva. She's here, and there's nothing to worry about anymore." Meisha stated sternly, gripping her coat tightly.

  "I think she is my business, Meisha," The wicked woman spat her name with viciousness. Meisha then suddenly spun around and started walking away, completely ignoring Eva's attitude.

   "Meisha, you're ignoring Eva."

Meisha stopped. She slowly turned around to see Dust. Dust looked her with determined eyes, and Meisha so badly wanted to just crawl in a hole and cry. Mei looked at Dust with confusion and sorrow, and Eva noticed the girl's hesitation, and grinned from ear to ear. "Yeah, Meisha, you're ignoring me. And I don't like that!" Eva cried, throwing herself dramatically into Dust, obviously seeking to anger Meisha. It worked.

   "I. Don't. Care." Meisha stated slowly, staring angrily at Eva.

  Dust gently pushed Eva's face out of her chest, then looked her in the eyes, making sure she was okay before fully letting go of the adult. Then she grabbed for Anna, speaking directly towards the girl. "Why were you at Meisha's?" She spoke softly. Meisha's breath caught in her throat again, anxious to hear Anna's response. Anna looked at Dust, then at Mei. After a moment, Anna turned back to Dust.

   "Meisha just gave me some cocoa and let me sleep in her home." Anna stated plainly. Meisha quietly sighed in relief. Eva had venom in her eyes as she stared at Meisha, obviously not believing her.

  "Anna, sweetie?" Eva said sweetly. "I'd advise you not to go to Meisha's again. She is a very, very dangerous woman." Mei held her breath to contain her anger, and her sadness. Eva just had to ruin everything.

   "Meisha doesn't seem so dangerous to me." Anna retorted. Eva sighed pitifully. "Oh you poor, poor child. Mei has captured you under her spell, hasn't she?" Meisha growled quietly. "Now, I want you to look at all of the other kids. Look how much fun they're having here! You are my responsibility, and I want to help you." Anna looked around, and snorted. The boys were running around, but something about their actions seemed forced. The small girl had tears in her eyes.

  Meisha was still uncertain, however. Eva had a very great power in forcing people, especially young children, to do what she wanted. It was part of her power granted by the Garden.

   "Look, lady, I get it. But I don't want help. I can take care of myself just fine. Also, I'm not your 'responsibility'. I snuck on here, to your 'responsibility'. That means I can sneak out of your 'responsibility'" Anna said, defiantly. Eva looked completely shocked to the core. She opened her mouth a couple times, but no words came out. She instead grimaced and stepped back slightly, making room for Dust to do something.

  Dust suddenly faced Mei and walked straight up to her. Mei, to her shock, stepped back. When Dust approached again, Meisha receded once more, but when Dust made a long stride to her, Mei froze completely. Dust stared at her with an intrigued look, and Mei broke down. A cry escaped from her, and suddenly realizing the noise she made, Mei covered her mouth. She could no longer hold tears back. This time, Dust stepped back slightly, a look of concern and confusion written all over her face. This hurt Meisha even more.

Mei stumbled back, nearly tripping on herself all the while silently crying, and she turned and ran. Straight for her home...

  No. NO. That poorly made excuse of a wooden shack was not her home. Her real home was with her loving mum, their beautiful house located on Fern Branch Lane, and her sister. Her real sister. A sister who wasn't corrupted in some paranormal, nightmare reality. Meisha missed her real home. Her school. Her friends and former classmates.

  She missed everything she used to have more than anything.

  Alex barked as she crashed through the door. "Shut up dog! You're not real... you're just part of the Garden! The stupid Garden! You stupid mutt!" she screamed at her beloved friend. Alexander sat down, whining. "You're not real, you're not real, NOTHING's real. YOU'RE JUST PART OF A CRUEL NIGHTMARE."

Alexander looked at her with wounded eyes, and she immediately felt awful. Falling to her knees, she could do nothing but just lie there, thinking. She knew taking out her anger and her sadness on a dog wasn't right. A dog who couldn't choose his own fate or destiny. She was his owner, Mei had no right to scold him. He was her only friend.

  But she was sick and tired of the Garden.

  She was tired of everything. All Mei wanted was for it all to just go away...