Passage 5

(A/N The first part of this passage contains self-harm! You have been warned)

  Death had always been something Mei feared. It was also something she considered joining every now and then.

  But it was the only escape from the Garden.

So here she was. A knife in her hand. Meisha doubted the adults would care if she died or lived, and she was sure Eva would use it to her advantage. All the children in the Garden wouldn't have to deal with pesky, dangerous Meisha who would surely be the wrong in them.

She raised the knife to her throat, gripping the handle tightly.

Eva would be happy. Everyone would happy. Wouldn't they?

She began pushing the knife.

But what about Dust? Alexander? Anna...
She began to press the knife against her throat harder, but something was holding her back. Maybe her will hadn't broken as much as she thought after all... She lowered the knife, and finally began to think rationally. Where would Alexander go? He'd be left here, all alone, in this haunted nightmare, with no one to comfort him. But what about Mei? Who'd be there to comfort Mei? Surely Alexander alone couldn't help her... The knife somehow found itself pointed at her throat now.

"Ma'am? Ma'am!"

Meisha dropped the knife, almost in relief. Who was that? Certainly not Anna... She barely recognized the voices.

"Ma'am! Oh gee, she's not home, Thomas."

"Aw, that sucks, I thought she'd be able to help us..."

Little voices. Children voices! Meisha rushed to the door and opened it. There, she saw two boys, one with brown hair and the other with red. The redhead jumped up and down when he saw Mei. "Hey lady! I mean ma'am, I mean.. Oh whatever! Anyway, we were thinking if you could join us on pranking one of the adults!"

Mei was very shocked to hear all this. In fact, she could barely process what she was hearing. It was like when she was younger, with the prankster and jokesters going crazy in the classroom when the teacher was out. The brown head smiled excitedly, and told Mei, "I'm Thomas, and he's Sean. Please excuse his manners. He was raised by wolves." The redhead, Sean, brightened. "At least I was born with cool wolves, while you were born in a pigsty!" he replied, crazily.

Meisha, whose mind was still in a bit of a daze from her near suicide, finally replied, "What are you two doing here at my house? The bridge is blocked off."

  Thomas scoffed, setting his hands on his hips. "Eh, all the more fun. Besides, we need a grownup to help do some of the things we plan to do, and we didn't . So anyways, will you help us out?!"

   "I..." Before Meisha could properly reply, Alexander butted his head through the door and tried to lick the boys' faces.

   "Aww, so cute! Hey, you have a dog?" Sean exclaimed. Both boys had now knelt down to rub Alexander, who seemed to quickly forget all those mean words Mei had screamed at him. Meisha simply watched the boys.

   "Yeah, yeah I do..." Meisha muttered.

   "Awesome! Maybe we have your dog help us out too. So will you help us?"

After a moment of suspense on the boys' end, Mei finally nodded, and they grinned from ear to ear, obviously pleased. "So what's the plan?" Mei asked, smiling a little.