16 | welcome back nyc

Maya's POV

Me and Riley just got back to my apartment without saying one word to each other, I glanced over my shoulder. Trying to get her attention was hard especially when she's sad.

"So, you want dinner?" I asked. Not a single peep came out of Riley's mouth, I slowly embrace her in a tight hug,
"Its gonna be okay Riley, I know how much you cared for him. Its okay to feel this way".

She shook her head, and looked at me
"Why do bad things happen to good people?". I didn't know what to say.

"He didn't deserve this. Nobody deserves this-- I-- D -- I. Maya" She stuttered and sobbed on my shoulders. I roll my fingers through her beautiful long brown locks, how can someone be so beautiful without trying?

I grab Riley's face softly and wipe off the tears streaming down her cheeks
"Riley, whatever happens to whoever it happens, you'll always have me. I'll never leave you. Okay?" I say softly as she stops crying.
"Okay.".

I knew she wouldn't be sad forever. I know she will understand this soon, It just hurts seeing the person you love in so much pain over one of things that mattered the most to them.

We stayed like this for a while, soaked in our thoughts and only sniffles could he heard coming from Riley. A loud knock brought us back. I ran to the door but opened it slowly, when I turned my head I saw Lucas standing at the door with a cigarette lit in his hand.

He came towards but I stopped him quickly
" You better not walk in here with that" I pointed to his cigarette. He rolled his eyes and threw it to the floor. I smiled feeling accomplished and opened the door so he could walk in.

Lucas looked at the the table filled with tissue papers, then looked at Riley whose still laying on the couch.
" Wow..I thought I was a mess" Lucas spitted. I'm confused considering it was his grandpa.

"Um, aren't you a mess as well?" I asked. He looked over at me
"Actually I was but Elena really helped through this process, considering she has lost more people than I could count". My brows furrowed
" Really? I never noticed she was hurt ".

" She hides it very good " Lucas said sitting on the first chair he saw. I pulled up a chair next to him.
"Who did she lose?" I asked hoping he wouldn't bring any attitude.

"Her mom, grandma and grandpa, her cousin and sister" Lucas said. My mouth dropped,
"Oh my god. What the hell, how?".
" In a house fire, all in the same day. " He explained.
" How can she be so strong?". I looked over a Riley and and sighed.
"Yeah........" I trailed off.

How can someone be so strong. Hell, I know I could never be able to keep calm if I knew the only people I ever loved were gone. How strong.

so like i'm back with over a year of not updating ( sorry ) lolll. this is a sucky chapter but i needed something to publish. hope y'all enjoy.

- michelle