3

Savannah

I burst through the coffee shop doors, inhaling the cold air. After several deep breaths, I finally felt normal again. At least as normal as I could.

I walked back in, making my way to Dan's office. He was sitting behind his desk with his head in his hands. As I walked in, he looked up at me.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

"No. I'm fine. It's just kind of stuffy in here." If he could pretend, then so could I.

"Look, I think maybe somewhere along the way you misunderstood my intentions. I'm your boss Savi, there can't be anything between us. If I lead you on in any way, that wasn't my intention. It's just, I've been where you are right now and maybe that's why I feel the need to help you, I'm not sure. All I know is I wouldn't wish what you are going through on anyone, so I do what I can to help." He raked a hand through his hair, messing it up and making him look even sexier.

"Where exactly is it you think I am?" I asked, dropping back into the chair across from him.

"Homeless. Confused. Angry. Scared." He said, shuffling some papers on the desk.

"I'm not. You just caught me on a bad night is all. I told you I'm fine, Dan. I'm not your charity case." I was angry that I was so transparent that he actually figured it out. Normally, I was so much better at hiding things.

"You aren't a charity case Savi. Gosh why can't a person just want to help someone without there being some kind of sinister motive behind it? And why are you angry at me? Did you want something to happen between us? I don't make it a habit of sleeping with my employees."

Yes, I kind of did.

"No. Not even in the slightest. I only kissed you because I thought that was what you wanted and I needed this job." I said with an angry sneer. My attitude surprised even me sometimes.

"God that's- I don't even know. You don't ever have to worry about trading favors for a job here. I gave you the job because you were the right fit, not because I thought I could use you for sex."

Even I knew I was reaching with that one. I was backed into a corner and I didn't like it one single bit. Dan also confirmed exactly what I was afraid of, it was all in my head. He didn't want me, not even a little bit. All he wanted was to help me because he felt sorry for me.

Well that isn't sexy at all.

Just like that he went from hot to cold.

*

I sat back in his chair, going over and over our conversations in my mind. Why had I even insinuated that I thought he wanted sex for a job? That was so stupid. Dan was the most stand up guy I had ever met. It never once crossed my mind that he would do something like that.

My stupid mouth always getting me into trouble.

I pressed play on the second video, forcing myself to watch it. Halfway through, Dan came back in and sat across from me. I glanced up, but he was buried in some paperwork. The man always seemed to be doing some kind of paperwork.

"Do you want your seat back?" I asked.

"Don't be silly, Savi." He said, eyes glued to the pages in front of him. "How would you watch the videos from here?"