Chapter 3: See No Evil

Once night fell, Jenn's room became dark. She was on the lower floor and the only window in the room was covered by a dark curtain. She couldn't see a thing, which was okay... until she heard scratching coming from the wall in front of her.

She wondered if he had been right—if there really was something in the walls. When she thought about Deb's phone, how else would it have gotten in there? And where did they go? And Shannon? Where were they?

No, she knew he had to do something with them. Maybe he had hidden them in the basement. Had they even seen a basement? Even if there wasn't one, there was an attic. She knew that much.

"Yeah, they have to be in the attic," she though out loud to herself.

"Talking to yourself already?" Mr. Bache asked, blinding her by the light when he turned it on. Jenn ignored him as he walked over and stood beside her. "I wanted to let you know something, so you don't freak out."

"So I don't freak out?" she asked sarcastically. "What, more than I already am?"

He squatted down beside her. "I'm sorry about shooting your friend. I just... snap sometimes. But I did warn you all," he added, like the fact that he told them he would shoot them beforehand somehow made it acceptable.

"If you're sorry, then let us go."

"I can't do that."

"Why?" Jenn practically yelled. "Mr. Bache, we were invited here to help, or so we thought. We never meant to cause harm, invade your privacy, or anything else that has pissed you off." Tears were once again running down her face. "They said the bank owned the house."

"They were wrong. And call me Aaron."

He didn't look like an Aaron; in his mid-forties, light hair, and fairly well dressed, in khakis and a button-down shirt. She didn't know what an Aaron would particularly look like, but he wasn't it.

"Where are they? Where's Shannon?" Jenn asked desperately.

He ignored her question. "I came to let you know that you're safe, regardless of what you think about me. As long as you're bound, they can't hurt you." He smiled. "I didn't tell your friends upstairs that, though."

"Who can't hurt me?" Jenn asked.

"I told you already. You don't believe me now, but you will." He sighed wearily. "There's an ancient darkness that resides inside these walls. Not just here, but everywhere." He chuckled. "People think the noises they hear is just their house settling or cooling at night, but I know better. It's them."

"Who?"

He stood up and walked around to face her. "My ancestors thought it would be a good idea to partake in certain rituals that would bring them power. Some of those rituals took place on these very grounds. They sacrificed people's souls right here on this property!" He took a calming breath. "It left an imprint of evilness that has manifested into something horrific."

A scratching noise from behind him caused him to spin around and point his shotgun at the hole.

"Please untie me," Jenn begged, knowing if he was remotely right that she was in trouble.

"You're more protected than me, right now. They never fed until the sacrifice was released. They're not allowed. It interrupted the ritual. So, if I untie you, it won't end well for you. Trust me."

She didn't trust him. Not at all.

"I have to go," he said. "Just remember... they can't harm you if you're bound."