Chapter 18- Part 1

~Maurice~

“What if they don’t like me,” Leona whined, tugging at her black ruffle blouse.

“I look a mess, don’t I?”

“No, baby,” I smiled, standing to pull her into my arms again, staring right into her hazel eyes. “You look edible.”

“Maurice,” she giggled.

“Stop it, you’re being biased. They’re going to hate me.”

“Sweetie, my friends aren’t judgmental like that. Well, maybe Jess, but we don’t pay her no mind. As long as I know my babe looks good and tasteful, then that’s all we have to worry about.”

“Marly-Mar,” Jayden greeted me, with a big ass grin on his face. He must’ve handled his business. Only money matters would make a man smile like that.

“You look happy as hell,” I smiled, sliding Leona to the side so I could hug my bro, and take a good look at him. I wasn’t being gay, I just wanted to remember what he was wearing in case he did something stupid and I got called in to questioning for it.

“What’s the occasion?”

“Broke as hell,” he laughed before taking his attention to Leona, standing at my side as though she were nervous.

“Gorgeous,” he said. “Just gorgeous. No tattoos or bullet wounds so far. No gold’s, no neck rolls. Alright then. Maurice done moved up. It’s nice to meet you Leona.”

“Nice to meet the infamous Jayden,” she smiled, extending her hand. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“All good things, I hope.”

“Well, you’re dating my boss and best friend, so-”

“If we could, please take our seat,” I interrupted them, before Jayden could get an ear full of the nasty things I’ve already heard the women saying about him.

“I shouldn’t be here if there’s no liquor,” I heard a familiar voice, and my insides cringed.

“Where’s the liquor? This is suppose to be a bar and grill, and I don’t see either one.”

“Baby, this is-”

“Jessica,” she grinned, from ear to ear, almost as if she wasn’t really trying to smile, and had something devious rolling in her head.

“It’s nice to meet you.”

“Yea, yea, now where’s the liquor?”

“I got your seat for you,” Jayden offered, pulling out a chair at the end of our long table, seated for eight.

“I don’t need shit from you,” she sneered.

“I just want to know why I’m here and in black. And if you motherfuckers try and tell me I’m here ‘cause somebody died, that’s just low.”

“Actually, I’ll be getting to that in a little bit,” I informed her.

“We’re still waiting for Ayeonna and Shamara.”