Chapter 28

~Ayeonna~

Tre and I decided, since we were left behind, we would have a nice breakfast, just the two of us. It would give me and him some time to chat and hopefully I could get to the root of what was really going on inside of my nephew's head. I sent him up to his bathroom to wash up and get ready for the day, so that by the time he had gotten back everything would be on the table and ready to devour. I took out a frying pan and placed on the stove, then went over to the fridge for the eggs, when I noticed my sliding patio door was unlocked.

I shrugged it off as Jayden or JJ going back there for something before they left. Going back to the stove, my thoughts were still happy. Tonight would be the first that my husband would be home for good, and not just staying here for a weekend, or for a day or two just to go home and end up texting me like we used to, or stay up late at night so we could talk and gush on the phone like we're two love sick teens again.

I would be able to hold him, and have him hold me, and go back to just being happy. If Shamara wouldn't have backed off, I pictured myself going as far as interrupting their wedding ceremony just to get my man back, and still fought myself when thinking about it because Jayden was happy. To know he thought of her as me most of the time irritated me because he could've just brought his ass home.

Now stop, Yonna. That's the old you. You have your man, he's home. That naggin' shit and fly mouth is what took a part in him leaving you. You have to hold on to him. You see every time you two part, something ends up happening.

The house phone rang on the end of my island, and I placed my eggs near my stove to grab it. “Ayeonna Jefferson?” someone asked me on the other end.

“Yes, this is she,” I perked, wondering who in the hell could be calling me at close to seven o'clock in the morning.

“You have a call from Chyenne Carter. Would you like to accept this call?” I took a deep swallow, calming my nerves before they were riled. There were words I wanted to call her for just dropping off my nephew, leaving a note with him, and then skipping town without having to look neither Jayden, me, or Marlon in the damn eye and telling us from her mouth as to why she would be leaving. She relinquished her rights to the boy she legally adopted as her own, leaving him to damn near fend for himself at just seven years old. Hadn't he been through enough with a mother who didn't care about him like Tonya?

With her family shoving him around from house to house we didn't know what could've been happening to him, and yet she took him as the baby she never had a chance to have with her husband, and did him the same way that crazy bitch had.

“Yonna,” she called me, her voice almost shaking at the moment. “How is he?”

“Why'd you leave him,” I found myself grounding at her. “Why the fuck would you just abandon an innocent child, Chyenne? You know a mother is an important thing for a child to have.”

“I was lost,” I heard her sniffle. “I didn't know how to function. I didn't want to take out my frustrations on him anymore.”

“What do you mean 'anymore', Chy? What the fuck did you do to my nephew?!”

“Yonna I just called to see how he was. I know I was a bad mom-”

“Do you know that he fixes his broken emotion by killing animals, Chy?! Because of whatever it was Tonya's folk did to him, and then you and James bullshit, me and MY husband have to roll up our fucking sleeves and raise a child who is most likely going to grow up to be a fucking serial killer. You stay away from him.”

“You can't keep him away-”

“The shit I can't. We make him happy, and you gave up your rights, remember? I won't let another child to grow up like I did. It was by the grace of God that I was sent a man who knew how to handle someone like me, and it's that same man that's going to raise him into one.”