Wind Has Teeth

Then came Autumn all in yellow clad

As though he joyèd in his plenteous store

Summer

     Why? Why here of all places? I thought to myself, exasperated with my younger brother's choice to meet in Middle-of-Nowhere, Russia. What's so undesirable about Fiji or the Bahamas? I let out a lengthened sigh and watched as a little cloud left my lips and carried in the soft gale into the picturesque night sky above. Albeit the northern territories and biting winds never suited my disposition, I had to concede that the rendezvous point he had chosen was particularly beautiful.

     I awaited my brothers in a snow covered clearing, among trees of musty spruce, larch and fir, as I have every equinox and solstice before, to pass the Torch's weight from one shoulder to the other. Let it be known that it is not out of pleasure or longing that my brothers and I meet, but out of duty and honor to the roles chosen for us by the Earth Mother, Gaea. And being the sensible deity she is, she ensured our loyalty as nature's enforcers by placing repercussions in case we ever presumed to self-servingly revel in the Torch's power. Repercussions we would not dare meet.

     It may seem cold and callus to place such circumstances upon one's own children, but nature has a sensitive balance with little room for error. And the Earth Mother is first and foremost earth's mother.

     I had been hoping to have a few moments of peace before embracing the loud intensity of my brothers. I enjoyed them immensely - as much as any brother would- but they were prone to be... Sporadic, chaotic even. Spring would always arrive after me, restless and emanating maximal glee, as he always was naturally. Autumn would follow, intimidatingly graceful in his tall frame. He could charm the most stubborn of mortals and deities with a singular glance  from his bronze eyes and blinding smile. Lastly, Winter would make an appearance. His almost palpable air of regality and power would be enough to make any enemy beg for mercy.

     A euphoric squeal erupted throughout he expanse of untamed forest. Spring, his laughs were joyful and filled with mischief. I let out short sigh and chuckled as my younger brother barreled barefoot into the clearing. "Brother, hello!", Spring exclaimed as he leaped with fists in the air. His deep, brown curls flew towards his face as he came to an abrupt stop just inches from my face, his teeth chattering and breaths hard. The world will never see eyes as emerald as Spring's.

     "THE WIND HAS TEETH, BROTHER!", he yelled exuberantly. "IT'S SPECTACULAR!", he cried again as he pulled me into a an embrace so staunch, I suspected I would have been pulverized if I were any bit corporeal. I pulled away and took in my brother's lean form. Spring was in khaki shorts and a grass stained white shirt. A single golden hair cuff caught his hair down the side of his face- not that it helped his wild, tousled hair, mind you.

     And just like that, my need to be alone faded into a warm bubbling in my chest. It had only been months since I'd last seen my brothers, but at that moment it felt like years had gone by. Perhaps Spring's exaggerated glee was contagious, because excitement filled my body and clouded my mind and a child-like laugh left my mouth. Spring had noticed my moment of giddiness and gave me an amused lopsided smile, slightly surprised. I was surprised myself, I had always been the quiet one, not having much to say about most things nor the one to convey emotions in any small way. Even with my brothers, my guard was always up. It was more of an innate instinct rather than a practiced one.

     "Hello, Dandy." I said playfully. Teasing him with a nickname Autumn had come up with, millennia ago. His amused smile transfigured into a warning glare almost immediately. His lips parted to say something, but then turned upright once more as something behind me had caught his attention.

     "Winter!", Spring called out, resuming his extreme glee. I spun in my place as Spring launched himself at Winter, making him stumble slightly in his place. Winter laughed as he left his brother's embrace. He smoothed down his impeccable suit and spoke teasingly, "Dandy."

     I could see Spring's face turn as red as a tomato as I made my way to my eldest brother, clasped his forearm and hugged him with my other arm. "It has been quite a while, brother." I said, feeling myself smirk.

     He gave me one of his rare smiles and said, "yes, it certainly does feel that way doesn't it?" I was about to tease him about missing me, when he scowled in confusion and scanned the line of trees around us. "where is Autumn?", he asked, anxiousness seeping into his deep voice. It struck me then, that feeling of longing at a sudden absence that had been sitting in my stomach for some time and I had only just acknowledged it.

     My brothers' eyes widened, as if experiencing the same and we spun around frantically, confused with the inexplicable, unfamiliar feeling. I could feel it expand inside me into a whole new emotion of terror and knowing that somehow, someplace Autumn was no longer.

     "Brother!", Spring yelled, on the verge of tears. I could tell we all shared the same desperation. "Are you present?!", he yelled frivolously.

     I kept scanning the trees, hoping that this was some kind of laugh on Autumn's part. That he would emerge from the shadows and laugh and let shine his vexing smirk, but no such thing happened.

     Winter slouched down onto a nearby rock, whispering things I could not process over the whirring in my head. I felt lightheaded, nauseous even. "We cannot be completely certain that he is lost! perhaps he..." my voice broke, not being able to find the words to alleviate the shock.

     "Perhaps he what?!", Winter yelled fiercely. "Perhaps it slipped his mind? We all know that that is not even the most desperate of possibilities! something has surely happened to him and I intend to know what."

     I snapped out of my hysteria and found steady ground. It is not the time to panic, I scolded myself. I calmed my breathing and looked down on my brother on the rock. "what do you suggest we do, brother?"

     He looked up at me, solemn and resolute. "counsel," he said, "We need her counsel."

     I nodded, understanding his plan. I turned to Spring, noticing his uncharacteristic silence. The shock and grief that had ensnared my senses earlier was, patently, still raging through him. That was decidedly my little brother's greatest flaw: emotions always got the best of him. For better or worse. I put a hand on his shoulder and raised his chin with the other, meeting his eyes. I was not particularly talented with words but spoke, nonetheless. "Don't let your mind wander little brother. Autumn is good. Autumn is strong. He will not Fall so easily, so bear with me and calm yourself. We will do what we can for our brother."
He stared into my eyes, searching, until determination set in his eyes and his labored breathing slowed. Once he was calm enough, I moved my hand to the base of his neck and turned to Winter. "Get up now, brother," I said, sounding almost clinical. "Time is of the essence."

*****

Sorry for the very late update!!!!
Anyway, whoever is reading and wants me to continue please vote and let me know what you think of it. It'll be very much appreciated.

I know this story is very controversial but aside from the supernatural vibe this story emanates, it's relatable in a sense that it's about loss, family, sacrifice, and how far one will go for family...

So have a seat, buckle up, and get ready to get your minds blown!!!