56

Hyotei Gakuen Music Hall

Choutarou wasn't really surprised when Sakaki-sensei had pulled him out of music practice to play a duet with the transfer student. It didn't bother him much, because this wasn't his test anyway, it was Echizen's, and Sakaki-sensei had explained that he would just act as the background pianist for Echizen's piece for Sakaki-sensei and the Headmaster.

Yes, the Headmaster. Izuki-sensei, who ran Hyotei Gakuen, was also invited to this duet performance, since he was the one who would accept or decline a scholarship. So it made sense for him to see the potential student first hand, except he was not introduced as the Headmaster, but just 'Izuki-sensei', and Echizen was told he was simply another music teacher. The point of this was to not pressurise the students, and if anything it made them more intent to impress, but from what Choutarou could see Echizen didn't seem intent on anything. It made him more curious than confused; he'd seen plenty of students come here hoping to get into Hyotei Gakuen for different subjects, and all of them went the extra mile to appease the teachers, but Echizen didn't seem to care at all about the scholarship. Choutarou would ask him about it, but he knew that Echizen was mute so it would be impossible to make conversation since he didn't know sign language. In fact when he thought about it he was pretty sure he didn't know anyone who knew sign language. Would that dissuade Echizen from taking the scholarship here?

"Ootori"

Choutarou looked up from his piano stool, noticing Sakaki-sensei watching him critically.

"Yes, Sakaki-sensei?" he asked carefully.

"We're taking a ten minute break and then I want you both back here" he stated, his eyes going back on forth between Choutarou and Echizen. Echizen and Choutarou both nodded in unison.

"Of course, Sakaki-sensei" Choutarou said. Sakaki-sensei nodded his head.

"Good" was all he said before he walked out of the room, 'Izuki-sensei' in tow. Choutarou paused for a moment, unsure of what to do now. He could get a drink before he had to perform, maybe find Shishido-senpai and the rest of the team. Choutarou half glanced at Echizen, wondering what he was-

Choutarou blinked.

The stool where Echizen was sat was now empty.

"Echizen?" he muttered out loud, but it seemed the freshman was gone. Choutarou stood up quickly, already assessing the situation. This was bad, the transfer student had just wandered off, and if he wasn't back on time then Sakaki-sensei would cut his chance at a scholarship.

Choutarou moved out of the room quickly into the corridors, looking both ways and not seeing a single trace of Echizen, and he sighed loudly.

"Where did you go?" he asked no one in particular. The corridors were completely empty since all the students were in class right now, so Echizen couldn't blend in to the crowd, making the task of finding him easier. Choutarou frowned; going right would only lead to the outdoor grounds, whilst going left would lead into the main building. It's possible that Echizen went right to the outdoor grounds to find the tennis courts, since Atobe promised him a match. If he was an Echizen he wouldn't turn down a match against Atobe of all people.

Choutarou nodded, deciding to go right and hopefully find Echizen. He couldn't imagine what Sakaki-sensei would do if he found out he had lost the transfer student.

Hyotei Gakuen School Cafeteria

At first Roko flat-out denied the idea of attending Hyotei Gakuen, but as time wore on he found himself liking this school more and more.

Scratch that, the only reason he liked this school was a simple fact: The annual fee at Hyotei covered everything, books, uniform and food. The keyword here is food, as in as long as you pay the fee you are entitled to as much food as you want.

Food meant cake, so this school literally gave you unlimited cake in exchange for a fee that would be cut in half if Roko took the scholarship.

This made Roko very happy, and on top of the fact that the food here was made my top chefs in Japan - meaning the cake was delicious - it was free. Totally free. The lady at the empty cafeteria - since everyone was in class - didn't hesitate to hand Roko a slice of cake despite his Rikkaidai uniform, and so he came to the conclusion that the lady already knew he was a transfer student. When Roko had taken the cake and sat down, taking a bite from it, it was if he could feel the metaphorical stars in his eyes from the mouth-watering goodness of this cake. He quickly devoured it in less than twenty seconds, and went back to the lady for more. The lady raised an eyebrow but gave him another slice which Roko took gladly and sat back down, eating the next slice quickly.

This is the best, were Roko's only thoughts. Rikkaidai sure didn't offer free cake, since students there had to actually pay for their food, though Hyotei students technically did with their annual fee, but still Hyotei was winning Roko over.

But everything else about Hyotei didn't interest him particularly. The music room was fancy and high-tech with all the latest equipment and the tennis courts were high quality too. The library that he passed on the way here was large and had a lot of books for him to read, and the classrooms looked new and furnished, but there was something about Hyotei that felt rather too new to him. It felt like the entire place and sterile and sparkling every day, and from Roko's point of view it looked like a museum rather than a school. He'd played the pieces the music teacher had given him easily for him and the other music teacher, so Roko was sure he had passed their test.

Sure, Hyotei had a better education, it was pristine, it had better facilities and more connections with high schools and universities to give you a better chance in life, but it just didn't feel like a school, and besides Roko was sure there was no one here who knew sign language, since if there was Roko would have been introduced to them already. It was also the fact that he couldn't think of leaving his friends to come to this school; he didn't think he could last one day in the tennis club of that narcissist Atobe. He'd challenged him to a game, but Roko didn't feel like playing tennis anyway. He was just having a lazy day, and he'd like nothing more than to sleep right now.

You called them your friends again, his consciousness stated amusedly. Roko paused in the middle of putting a piece of cake in his mouth, frowning a bit before putting it in his mouth and chewing thoughtfully.

I did, he admitted after a while.

That's the second time. Do you really consider them friends? His consciousness asked.

Not sure, Roko mentally replied, Friends is a nicer word than 'teammates', but they're closer to friends than I've had before

What do you think of them individually? His consciousness asked, and Roko frowned.

Where is this coming from?

Just answer the question, his consciousness demanded. Roko mentally sighed.

I'd say that Jackal is like a friend, since he takes care of me often

Like those times you were afraid of blood and he comforted you, his consciousness added.

Marui I guess is like a friend too since he gives me sweets and tries to get to know me, Roko mentally replied.

Except you hate it when people get to know you, his consciousness replied.

That's true, but Marui is an exception, Roko mentally stated.

What about Kirihara?

Not sure, I don't talk to him much, and his Bloodshot Mode is scary.

But he cares for you and his teammates off the courts

Though I have to tutor him in English now, which is a pain

Except you don't find it a pain at all, his consciousness stated. Roko mentally sighed again.

What about Yanagi?

Him? I guess he can be helpful sometimes, but he can be creepy when it comes to his juices

True. What about Niou?

Do I even need to answer that one?

I suppose not, but I thought you'd forgiven him

I have, that doesn't make him any less of a troublemaker.

Fair enough, his consciousness stated, Yagyuu?

We don't really talk much, but he's polite I guess

That's all?

That's all, Roko mentally repeated.

Yukimura? His consciousness asked.

Well, I suppose he's like a friend, he's nice and comforting

And he helped you when you ran to him crying.

Roko cringed.

Don't talk about that.

Fine. Anything else?

I guess he's a good captain, even though he was my captain for half a day

Alright then, his consciousness stated, and finally: Sanada.

Roko frowned.

He knows you the best, his consciousness pointed out.

But I don't think Sanada is the type of person to be labelled 'friend'

He cares about you a lot, he protected you, especially so during the Butlers Café

I suppose so, he's strong and stoic and independent, and he cares for me, but he's just... Sanada.

I know what you mean, his consciousness agreed.

Roko sat in thought for a moment.

And now for the million-yen question, his consciousness stated, are you willing to give them up for a chance at Hyotei?

I have to get a scholarship first, Roko pointed out.

But what if you did?

Roko simply frowned. In truth he had no clue, and he glanced at the clock on the wall in thought, noting he had three minutes to return to the music room. Roko stood, leaving the cafeteria quickly and finding his way back.

Hyotei Gakuen Tennis Courts

Atobe tapped his foot impatiently, scanning the horizon for signs of the Speed Demon of Rikkaidai. Ootori had informed him that Sakaki-kantoku told him that the kid would be leaving at the beginning of last period, meaning he would be leaving right now, and Atobe knew the buildings well, so he knew that the quickest way out of the school from the music rooms would be to take the right door to the outdoor grounds and go through the tennis courts to reach the front gates, meaning the brat would pass Atobe.

Atobe had been waiting all day to play this brat, not bothering to do any additional training, since he knew he would defeat the brat easily. It was exciting for him to finally play someone decent, since his game with Tezuka he had found no satisfaction in any win, and so he hoped defeating a Rikkaidai regular would make him feel alive again.

"Atobe", came Oshitari's voice, suddenly appearing next to him, "Waiting for him won't make him arrive any faster"

"Ore-sama does not care" Atobe replied, "Ore-sama must play this Echizen Roko"

"This doesn't have anything to do with our loss to Seigaku does it?" Oshitari asked crudely, but Atobe just scoffed.

"Of course it does not" he replied, "Seigaku may have won but Hyotei will still go on to the Nationals"

"This isn't Echizen Ryoma, Atobe" Oshitari said levelly, "Don't get the two mixed up in your twisted form of revenge"

"Ore-sama has no idea what you're talking about, Oshitari" Atobe replied curtly.

Atobe then noticed the door open out of the corner of his eye, and he turned to it and smiled widely when he noticed the freshman he'd been looking for step out with his cello case on his back, Sakaki-kantoku two steps behind him. Sakaki-kantoku gave a few quick words which the brat just nodded at, and then he walked away quickly. Atobe moved quickly towards him, and the brat stopped mid-step and glanced at him blankly.

"You, you will play a match with Ore-sama" Atobe declared, and the brat just rolled his eye and continued on as if nothing interesting had happened. Atobe scowled and grabbed his shoulder, and the brat stopped and looked back at him blankly, his eye devoid of life like Kabaji's.

"Let me make myself clear" Atobe stated in annoyance, "You will play a match with Ore-sama"

The brat did not even blink at Atobe, staring at him blankly. Atobe scowled in flaring annoyance. This brat really was like his brother.

"Atobe", came Sakaki-kantoku's strict voice, and Atobe turned to find him standing behind him with his arms folded and his face perfectly stoic as usual.

"Sakaki-kantoku!" Atobe exclaimed, "Allow Ore-sama to play a match with this brat!". Sakaki-kantoku simply shook his head.

"I have no jurisdiction over Echizen, he is not a student of Hyotei Gakuen" he said simply, and Atobe scowled.

"Coach!" he exclaimed in desperation, and Sakaki-kantoku looked at him flatly. Atobe scowled in annoyance, and Sakaki-kantoku looked at him a moment longer before glancing at the brat behind him.

"Echizen, would you play a match with Atobe?" he asked smoothly, and Atobe turned back to the brat and frowned. The brat simply looked at Sakaki-kantoku for a moment, then at Atobe, and then back to him and nodded once, and Atobe smiled widely.

"Perfect" he declared, "In that case let's get started immediately"

Hyotei Gakuen Tennis Courts

Roko mentally sighed as he stepped onto the court with a borrowed tennis racket in hand, simply wearing his school uniform rather than his usual tennis gear. He didn't really want to play a match against Atobe, but it was clear that he would not leave Roko alone until he did, and so he obliged in an effort to get rid of him. All he had to do now was play a match and then he could leave. The music teacher - who was also apparently the tennis coach - was watching from the bench with folded arms and in complete silence.

"Kyyaaa! Atobe-sama!" the fan girls called and Roko rolled his eyes. It seemed that Atobe had just as large a fan club as Yukimura did, and at the mere mention of a match with him included summoned most of his fan club here to watch. Roko didn't mind, if it meant he could humiliate Atobe in front of his fan club, but it was still pretty annoying.

Snap

The crowd silenced in an instant, and Roko looked up curiously to see Atobe with his right arm in the air, his fingers in place after snapping them. Atobe had silenced the crowd with the click of his fingers. What a narcissist.

"The winner will be Hyotei!" he declared loudly.

"Kyaaa!" the fan girls screamed. Roko just mentally sighed. Could he really say that after they lost to Seigaku yesterday?

Roko approached the net, Atobe doing the same, and Roko held up his racket.

"Smooth" Atobe said calmly, and Roko spun the racket on the ground, landing on the smooth side.

"It's my serve" Atobe said cockily, but Roko just ignored him and moved back to the baseline, not bothering to shake his hand. Atobe didn't seem to notice and moved back to his own baseline.

"One set match, Atobe to serve!" the blue-haired guy called from the umpire's chair. Atobe bounced the ball on the baseline cockily in his left hand, and Roko took note of the fact he was right-handed. Atobe threw the ball into the air and served, sending the ball flying toward Roko, which he lazily countered and sent it to Atobe's opposite corner, and in an instant he was dashing there. Atobe returned it and sent it towards Roko, and he simply countered it again and sent it to Atobe's other corner, and Atobe dashed there. He returned it quickly, and Roko simply angled his racket and changed the trajectory of the ball, sending it lazily flying into the air. Atobe smiled widely and jumped into the air, smashing down, and Roko swung his racket underhanded and returned the smash with a Rising Shot, sending it towards Atobe's feet whilst he was recovering.

"0-15" the blue-haired umpire called.

Atobe scowled but said nothing, moving to the baseline and serving the ball again, to which Roko countered simply to Atobe's opposite corner and Atobe dashed there, returning the ball simply. Roko wasn't really in the mood to run around, and so he caught the ball with his racket simply and allowed it to slide down before returning it, and Atobe returned it to Roko's opposite corner, and he simply watched as the ball curved towards him and Roko returned it to Atobe's opposite corner.

"0-30!"

Roko looked up at Atobe, noting that his face was in complete shock and he frowned. What was so shocking? He did use the Samurai Zone, which he probably thought was the Tezuka Zone, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

"You" Atobe suddenly stated, "Since when did you know the Tezuka Zone?" he demanded, and Roko simply shook his head, returning to the baseline. The idiot couldn't understand him even if he tried to communicate.

Atobe simply served again, and Roko still didn't feel like moving, so he simply applied the Samurai Zone to the ball and sent it back to Atobe, who ran to the ball and sent it to Roko's opposite corner, but Roko didn't bother to move and watched it curve towards him, sending it back towards Atobe, who didn't even bother trying to resist the Samurai Zone and sent it straight toward Roko, and in response Roko swung his racket low before the ball could bounce and countered it with a Rising Shot, sending it flying past Atobe. Except Atobe moved faster than Roko expected, stepping back and quickly returning the ball to Roko's opposite corner, and he scowled in annoyance.

"15-30!"

Roko looked up at Atobe, who didn't even look fazed, a cocky smile in place. Roko had not applied the Samurai Zone when he'd used the Rising Shot, creating an opening in his technique, it was impossible to apply the spin when swinging the racket low like that, and Atobe knew it.

"Ahn~" he said, "This should be an interesting match". Roko waited for Atobe to serve, since he hadn't moved from his position much.

Atobe served again toward Roko, and Roko mentally sighed in pure laziness as he countered the ball. He wasn't in the mood for tennis today, and these ankle weights Kirihara had bought him were being a pain, since it meant he moved slower than usual, but Roko didn't want to take them off either. Sanada had told him to wear them everywhere as part of their training for the Regionals, and Roko diligently obeyed. They didn't feel nearly as heavy as they did before, but it was still a chore to play tennis without going all-out.

Atobe returned the ball quickly, and Roko just watched the ball curve towards him, hitting it back and applying the necessary rotation towards Atobe, who dashed to counter it sending it to Roko's opposite corner, but again the ball curved towards him and he returned it lazily. This was so boring. It wasn't even worth taking a step.

Atobe reached the ball and returned again, and Roko simply waited for the ball to reach him like a boomerang and then returned it to Atobe's opposite corner, but Atobe dashed there in a moment, returning the ball swiftly toward Roko, and he simply watched and waited for the ball to move to him. But instead the ball hit the net, and it barely bounced over the net and landed in Roko's court with a dull thud.

"30-all!" the umpire called. Roko narrowed his eye, this time he'd used a cord ball to counter the Samurai Zone. Atobe knew what he was doing, which meant Roko could only use it sparingly. But he still didn't feel like moving, and so he decided to only move when necessary.

Atobe smiled cockily as he produced the ball, bouncing it on the baseline before throwing it into the air and hitting it, and Roko knew immediately that something was different. He positioned to return the ball, but the ball simply landed on the ground but did not bounce, and Roko's eye widened as he watched the ball glide across the ground and out of the court. It looked like Tezuka Kunimitsu's Zero-Shiki Drop Shot, but in serve form.

"Behold Ore-sama's Tannhauser Serve" he declared loudly, and there was an immediate chorus of fan girl squeals.

"40-30!"

Roko simply narrowed his eye in thought. The obvious weakness of that serve was that it had to bounce, but that would require wasting energy that he wasn't in any mood to waste.

Except you don't want to let him win, his consciousness stated, and Roko frowned. That's true, he didn't want this annoying narcissist to win. For now, he would put in more effort, but later he was going to sleep. He'd had a long day of music tests and he was in no mood for tennis.

Atobe served again, and Roko dashed quickly, moving to the ball and countering the serve with an underhanded Rising Shot, sending the ball back at double the speed to Atobe's opposite corner, and in an instant he was there returning the shot toward Roko, who allowed the ball to slide down his racket before returning it toward Atobe, and as expected Atobe did not allow him to use the Samurai Zone, sending the ball towards the net, and it barely bounced over it, and Roko moved there, appearing in front of the ball in an instant, but Atobe suddenly appeared in front of him to intercept a drop shot, so instead of dropping it he lazily lobbed it into the air over Atobe's head, and Atobe moved backwards and watched the ball. He knew if he smashed Roko would intercept it, and so he waited for it to fall and then struck it over his head, but Roko reached the ball easily and dropped it into Atobe's court.

"Deuce!"

"Ahn~" Atobe said loudly, "I can see why you're a regular of Rikkaidai"

Roko simply ignored him and moved back to the baseline awaiting Atobe's serve. Atobe smiled cockily and threw the ball into the air, and Roko knew immediately that he was using the Tannhauser Serve, and he dashed forward as soon as Atobe's racket struck the ball, and Roko countered it with another low Rising Shot, sending it to Atobe's opposite corner. Atobe was there immediately, returning it to Roko fiercely, and Roko mentally sighed in annoyance, tapping the ball with the edge of his racket and sending it gliding high into the air.

"Chance ball!" was heard in the crowd, and Roko watched Atobe scowl at the ball that was rising high into the air. He knew either a smash or waiting for the ball to fall would both fail, and so Atobe eventually jumped into the air and smashed, and Roko simply moved toward the ball and countered it before it landed with a Rising Shot, sending the ball towards Atobe's feet before he could recover.

"Advantage, Echizen!"

Atobe narrowed his eyes, but again Roko returned to the baseline like nothing had happened. His breathing was uneven but he wasn't sweating, and to Roko's surprise Atobe wasn't either. He clearly had a lot of stamina.

Atobe served again, and Roko moved, countering the Tannhauser Serve immediately with a low Rising Shot that Atobe countered quickly, sending it towards Roko's opposite corner, and Roko moved there, countering quickly and lobbing the ball again, sending it high into the air. He could hear Atobe practically snarl in annoyance, and this time he simply waited for the ball to fall, and Roko moved to the net. As expected Atobe hit the ball with all his strength, but against the apparent Speed Demon of Rikkaidai the shot was average, and Roko simply dropped the ball into Atobe's court again.

"Game Echizen! 1-0!"

Roko looked back up at Atobe. Despite how Atobe forced him to run around and use some of his techniques, he hadn't used all of them, nor had he taken off his ankle weights, and he was still tired. In short Roko was still bored, so so bored.

But hopefully that would change, since it was his service game. Roko never lost a service game.

Hyotei Gakuen Tennis Courts

Atobe scowled in annoyance. That freshman's expression, it wasn't defying or ready to fight like the Echizen he knew, his expression was bored. Completely and utterly bored, and Atobe could tell the freshman wasn't putting in nearly as much effort as he could, which irritated him to no end.

"Oi, Ore-sama demands you play seriously!" he shouted, but the brat did not even acknowledge him, producing his own ball and bounced it on the baseline to serve. Atobe scowled and took his position without another word. The brat bounced the ball in his left hand before throwing it into the air, jumping after it and hitting it mid-air and Atobe recognized the Twist Serve. Atobe watched as the ball bounced in front of him, waiting for the ball to bounce towards his face, but instead the ball bounced upward into the air, and he could hear several people gasp. Atobe frowned and then smiled widely, jumping into the air after the ball and smashing it downwards, and in an instant the brat appeared and swung his racket low for a Rising Shot, sending the ball flying back towards Atobe at his feet before he could recover.

"15-0!"

Atobe scowled. Of course that serve was a trap, since it practically baited him to smash the ball. No matter, he would simply wait for the ball to fall and hit it then.

The brat served that weird serve again, and Atobe watched as it jumped high into the air, and he simply watched it, waiting for a while for it to fall to the ground before hitting it towards the brat. But suddenly he was at the net, and he dropped the ball into the court with a dull thud.

"30-0!"

Atobe scowled deeper. Now he saw it, it was a complete trap. If he smashed it then the brat would return it with a Rising Shot, and if he waited for the ball to fall the brat would move to the net and tap the ball into Atobe's court. Smart, except Atobe saw the weakness of that serve now, he simply had to hit it before it bounced.

The brat served that same serve again, and Atobe moved quickly, swinging the racket underarm and countering the serve before it could bounce, sending it back towards the brat, who simply returned it with that bored expression in his one visible eye. Atobe scowled and sent the ball to the brat's opposite corner, but as expected the ball curved towards the brat, and he tapped it with his racket and sent the ball flying into the air slowly. Atobe scowled at the ball, this time jumping at the ball and sent smashing down with all his power, and his eyes widened when the brat suddenly appeared, twisting his body and catching the ball with his racket, flicking back with his arms spread wide, and Atobe was too stunned to reach the ball which landed behind him.

"40-0"

"Higuma Otoshi" he breathed, watching the brat in shock. That brat knew the Tezuka Zone and the Higuma Otoshi? The brat looked up at him and stared at him with that bored expression much to Atobe's annoyance, producing a ball and serving that annoying serve again, and Atobe scowled but dashed to it, not allowing it to bounce and sending it back to the brat, who moved a step to the left and countered the ball lazily, sending it toward Atobe. Atobe moved to counter it again, making sure to nullify the Tezuka Zone. He wouldn't allow the brat to use it, and so he tapped the ball with the edge of his racket, sending the ball flying slowly over the net.

Suddenly there was a black blur, and the brat suddenly appeared in front of the net impossibly fast, and Atobe's eyes widened as the brat simply dropped the ball into his court.

"Game Echizen, 2-0!"

Atobe narrowed his eyes. For most of the game he looked completely bored, and then suddenly he used his amazing speed to catch him off-guard. What an annoying brat.

"You little..." he mumbled under his breath. The brat simply looked at Atobe still bored for another moment before he shook his head and walked off the court, and Atobe's eyes widened.

"Oi, you! Where are you going?" he demanded, and the brat ignored him and put down the borrowed racket and picked up his cello case and slipped his arms into the straps, casually walking away.

"Kabaji" Atobe called, and in an instant Kabaji appeared next to the brat and grabbed his shoulder. The brat simply stopped but did not even turn to acknowledge Kabaji.

"Ore-sama did not say you could leave!" Atobe declared, but again the brat didn't turn to him.

"Atobe, leave him" Sakaki-kantoku ordered from the bench, and Atobe turned to him incredulously.

"Echizen is here for the Music Transfer Programme, not tennis. That is now done, and so you have no power to make Echizen stay. If he decides you are not worth his time then there is nothing we can do" Sakaki-kantoku explained bluntly.

"Sakaki-kantoku!" Atobe protested loudly.

"Kabaji, release him" Sakaki-kantoku ordered, completely ignoring Atobe, and Kabaji did not hesitate to release his hold on the brat, who walked away as if nothing happened out of the courts.

"Wait-" Atobe began.

"Atobe" Oshitari said, appearing next to him and putting a hand on his shoulder, "It doesn't matter, we'll play each other sooner or later. For now we should just practice" he stated, and Atobe clenched his fists in anger.