Chapter 13: Partner Up

Partner Up

"THE ODDS ARE AGAINST ME." Quinn complained dramatically, leaning her shoulder onto James's shoulder. She felt his body vibrate a little under her face as he laughed, rolling his eyes at her theatrical behavior. She was being extremely dramatic about her partner for Herbology this year. It just so happened to be a Slytherin named Christopher Snakeskin – yes, this was actually his name – and James couldn't help but feel a little upset about this.

He had always wanted to be a partner, and now they were finally friends so she wouldn't whine about it. Besides, her Potions partner was now Aaron Thompson, the Ravenclaw Keeper that James didn't like at all. Even though James made a lot of goals during their previous Quidditch match, he was pretty sure that Aaron had stopped more than he scored. And now, pretty boy Thompson was Quinn's Potions partner.

Truthfully, James didn't want to admit that Aaron was a pretty nice guy. Once he realized that she had accidentally ditched James at Hogsmeade, he backed off, knowing that James really liked her. Besides, he was a really good friend to Quinn. She read the same Muggle books as him, something that Quinn and James definitely didn't have in common.

The only book he had completed was Quidditch Through the Ages, recommended to James by his father: Harry Potter. Although Teddy, Rose and Lily did the same, it was different. Why? Because Aaron Thompson was pretty bloody attractive. And James hated this.

"I suppose I do have one thing to look forward too." Quinn admitted, referring to the Potions lesson they were now heading to. James fumed silently, though he nodded is head stiffly on the outside.

"Right." He agreed, sounding almost sarcastic. Although Quinn noticed it, she chose not to comment on it. She knew James didn't like Aaron much, but assumed it was just a petty Quidditch rivalry. Ravenclaw had almost beat Gryffindor in the cup last year, and Aaron was getting better everyday. Quinn also knew this because they had hung out the other day before the match. She saw him practise and he was simply fantastic.

"Good morning class." Professor Slughorn spoke merrily as usual, entering the classroom after James and Quinn were already settled in.

Quinn chuckled. "It's the afternoon, Professor." She corrected, and Slughorn grinned, laughing goofily.

"Always on your toes Miss Meredith." He complimented before turning towards the rest of the class. "Now, today we will be preparing the Draught of Peace potion in our pairs." James grumbled a few curse words to himself. "Can anybody tell me anything about- Miss Meredith?" Of course, Quinn's hand had shot up into the air in excitement.

"The Draught of Peace is a potion which relieves agitation and anxiety." She explained, a couple of girls looking at her with envy of the attention she was getting. Nowadays, boys liked intelligent girls and those who didn't pay a lot of attention in class didn't have that small advantage. "Its ingredients vary from powder to liquid and it should be a turquoise blue when finished simmering. Only then should it be drunk. Overusing ingredients may cause the drinker to fall into a deep sleep, though."

"Excellent!" Professor Slughorn exclaimed in glee. "Well done Miss Meredith, ten points to Gryffindor house!" The Gryffindors in the room smirked. "Alright! Everyone grab your ingredients and cauldrons before we start. Go on then!"

People dispersed from their seats and Quinn grabbed the cauldron her and Aaron tended to use. He grabbed all the ingredients, already having read the things needed before class.

"It's a good thing we're learning to make this." Quinn said to Aaron as James eavesdropped on their conversation.

Aaron smiled, amused. "And why is that?" he inquired.

"With all of our OWLs coming up, we'll need some anxiety crushing potions." Quinn retorted, grinning at him before beginning to add all the ingredients, the main ones being powdered moonstone, syrup of hellebore, powdered porcupine quills, and powdered unicorn horn. They made simply conversation about the Chronicles of Narnia book and movie series before stirring the potion 7 times clockwise and anti-clockwise. Then, they were finished as the potion emitted a silvery vapour. "Oh my god!" Quinn whisper-yelled. "Aaron, I think it worked."

"How can you tell?" Aaron asked, looking at their potion skeptically.

"Well, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Characteristics of a failed potion include everything from green sparks, dark grey steam, a sulfurous odour, a cement-like consistency, to a dangerous instability that will cause it to explode and set one's robes set fire." She listed. "Silvery vapour is a good thing!"

"Professor," Aaron called out politely. "If you don't mind, could you check our potion? We believe it may be completed."

"Well of course!" their Professor mirthfully responded, coming over. "Merlin's beard! Miss Meredith, Mister Thompson, I do believe that this is a wonderful potion, brewed to absolute perfection! Well done you two, well done. Twenty points to your houses each." (A/N: Don't worry, this isn't a story where the character always gets everything perfect)

Aaron and Quinn grinned, sharing a high five. James was glowering by this time and his potion had gone completely wrong, his potion exploding in that exact moment and he had to jump back to avoid getting burnt or having his robes set alight.

***

"And it was so perfect!" Quinn continued her ranting to Rose, who looked eagerly at her. "The consistency wasn't too thick and there was no sparking or sulfurous odour."

"What about vapour?" Rose questioned quickly. "What colour was it?"

"Silver," Quinn admitted, now looking a little bashful.

"Wow." Rose breathed out, grinning, before her smile faltered. "My Potions partner is useless."

"Hey!" Came a yell from across the Great Hall, and Quinn noticed it was Scorpius Malfoy. "I resent that." With a roll of her eyes, Rose sent an apologetic smile to Quinn before walking over to the young Slytherin and talking to him with a big grin on her face.

"I love Scorose," Quinn said with a happy sigh.

"Not a chance." James said bitterly, narrowing his eyes at the younger boy talking to his cousin. "He better keep his little hands to-"

"James!" Quinn interrupted, laughing. "She's thirteen years old – so is Scorpius. They don't exactly have the same thoughts that you do."

"Excuuuuuse me." James said sassily, pretending to look offended. "I am appalled that you think that of me."

"So you're saying you don't go snogging random girls in broom cupboards?" she retorted, smirking. James was silent for a moment, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "I thought so."

"You know, I'm more than just some guy who likes snogging girls." He spoke after a moment of extremely uncomfortable silence. Quinn smiled again.

"I know." She promised. "Maybe a couple months ago I wouldn't have, but now... I know. I swear."

"Good." James nodded. "Because I really do want to be known as more than just that."

"You are more than that. You're James Sirius Potter." Quinn emphasized. "And you're Quinnity Faye Taylor."

"Are you two dating?" a voice snapped the two out of it to see a young Gryffindor girl.

"Hey sweetie," Quinn kneeled down to look her in the eyes. "I'm affraid, we're not dating."

"Actually, I'm afraid." James teases, also leaning down. The girl giggled at his words. "What's your name?"

"Lacey." She replied, swinging her hands a little. Quinn watched in entertainment at how cute James acted around little kids. Wait... cute?

"Well, Lacey. This beautiful girl next to me happens to be way out of my league." James feigned sadness.

"That's not true!" Lacey replied. "I think you're both in the same league." It was funny, hearing such a young girl saying that.

"If only everyone thought that," James whined as Lacey ran off to her friends.

"Stop complaining." Quinn rolled her eyes, still smiling though. "Everyone who died yesterday thinks you're a lucky son of a gun."

"That girl was wrong." A girl says, looking at Quinn unimpressed. Quinn looked at her, surprised.

"Pardon?" Quinn spluttered.

"You and James Potter are not in the same league at all." She continued.

"I don't see how that's any of your business." Quinn admitted, trying not to be too rude.

"I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my ass." This random girl insulted her out of nowhere. Quinn was done being polite.

"That's because you're so full of crap." She retorted before rolling her eyes and pulling James away. He had burst into laughter the moment Quinn used her comeback, and looked like he didn't want to stop.

"I love you, Quinn Meredith," James said in between laughter, wiping his tears.

"Of course you do." Quinn replies, grinning.