Chapter 18: Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve

THE EVE OF CHRISTMAS ROLLED around faster than Quinn expected. She had a really good time with Carrie so far and even went to the Brighton Christmas fair with Carrie, Amanda and Finn. It was adorable when Finn won a little dinosaur for Amanda, and they kissed. Quinn could feel jealousy bubbling in her stomach, but mainly because she wished she had someone to kiss. Someone that actually liked her, that was.

"Quinn!" Carrie  exclaimed, grinning as she saw her friend. "You look fantastic."

"You're not one to talk," Quinn retorted, grinning back. "Lysander is going to go crazy when he sees you."

"Well, that's the point." Carrie retorted, dropping her eye into a wink as Quinn laughed. "Who're you trying to impress?" the teasing suddenly wasn't funny anymore, and Quinn got a little upset.

"Nobody." Quinn finally concluded. "I'm trying to impress me."

"Well that's better than a boy." Carrie exclaimed, grinning. "In fact, it's perfect."

"He'll be there tonight." Quinn broke the silence that followed, and Carrie knew she was referring to James. "Won't he?"

Carrie sighed. "Probably."

"I just feel so stupid." Quinn admitted. "The only other time I ever liked anyone was when that Gryffindor helped me with my Charms homework and I thought he was cute." Carrie laughs a little at the memory, and Quinn cracked a smile. "You know what I mean? I've never really liked anyone before. And I actually started believing it when everyone told me that James liked me. I don't mean third year crush, like-"

"Albus." Carrie interrupted.

"I already feel bad about that." Quinn reminded her. "Let's not talk about it."

"Even better idea." Carrie grinned, hugging Quinn quickly. "Now let's grab a coat."

"I thought we're floo-ing." Quinn retorted.

"Good point." Carrie spoke and they walked towards the fireplace. "Ready?" Quinn nodded.

"Ministry of Magic!"

***

The Ministry had been entirely redecorated into a ballroom and people of all ages were dressed up as they danced, talked and laughed. James scanned the area countless times but he couldn't find Quinn anywhere. The room was decked out completely and all of his cousins and siblings were there. Even Albus decided to come, although he usually hated formal occasions. James was usually spotted making out with a girl he had just met, but he was determined to stop doing that now. Who knew how long that would last?

"I'm still on the rocks about talking to you." Lysander commented as he held a glass of some Muggle fizzy drink in his hand, observing the party.

"That really helps me, thanks Sander." James replied sarcastically.

"You're not the one that needs helping out, mate." Lorcan retorted. "You did totally crush any trust you earned from Quinn."

"Seriously?" James snapped. "I know I screwed up. The both of you reminding me doesn't get me any closer to trying to apologize."

"James." His father called as he walked with Lily and Albus towards him. "Is everything all right?"

"No." James admitted. "In fact, everything is screwed up at the moment."

"James!" Ginny scolded her son, to which he didn't reply immediately.

"Sorry, dad." He mumbled before spotting Carrie and Quinn with Dominique and her little brother Louis. "I have to go!" he rushed off towards Quinn and she looked up right before he reached her, her smile dropping from her face.

***

"Do you know what your problem is, Potter?" Quinn questioned rhetorically, venom lacing her words. He had just chased her through the crowd of people as she tried to escape him. "You can't admit when you're wrong."

"But I'm not wrong." James said urgently, attempting to get her to understand his point. "Look! I just need you to-"

"NO!" Quinn whisper-yelled attracting attention from a few people. "I need you to stay away from me and stop talking to me. Before I get someone to do it legally." Her threat hurt a lot more than James thought it might.

"Please," James pleaded. "Just let me explain."

"What is there to explain?!" Quinn inquired. "You played me. Well done, Potter. Now you can tell everyone at Hogwarts that you got the girl that swore she didn't like you to like you." she feigned a happy look. "In fact, you can even post it on your Muggle Facebook wall! I'm sure everyone would love that."

"Stop acting like this." James snapped suddenly. Quinn stumbled back a step in surprise.

"Like what?" Quinn asked, trying to sound bored and casual like Carrie always did. "What am I acting like?"

"Like you don't have a single feeling!" James explained. "You're acting like this didn't even affect you at all."

"Of course it affected me, Potter!" Quinn said, frowning. "I finally trusted you. I thought that you had become a decent human being that deserved his name."

"What name?" Now it was James's turn to be confused.

"Potter." Quinn said. "For two generations, Potters have been brave, chivalrous and selfless. What happened to you, James? Do you not know who you're named after?" With a shake of her head, Quinn turned around to walk away.

"I'm sorry." James said, and she paused, turning only her head to look at him.

"That's the first time you've said that." Quinn pointed out. "Do you know how many people that aren't you have said that to me? All of your friends and family." She shook her head. "You definitely don't appreciate what an amazing life you have, James." Quinn actually used his first name and James took notice of this. "You have a fantastic family, great friends, an education, a brilliant home- What is it going to take for you to get that snogging random girls completely disrespects that?"

***

"Hey." A familiar voice spoke and Quinn looked up to see Aaron standing with his hands in his slack pockets.

"Aaron!" she breathed out, jumping up to hug him tightly. "Thank Merlin you're here."

"Woah," Aaron exclaimed, wrapping his arms around Quinn. "What happened?"

"James-freaking-Potter happened." Quinn mused, rolling her eyes a little. "I'm really sick of him coming up to me and trying to talk to me."

"Then ignore him." Aaron said. "He betrayed your trust and that's not fair on you."

"Of course it's not fair on me." Quinn laughed bitterly. "It's just that I should have known. I'm not exactly the first girl he's played of anything."

"Right." Aaron agreed, frowning. "I just thought for sure that he liked you."

"Didn't everyone?" Quinn asked, half serious and half sarcastic. "And eventually, I did too. I guess that's what made me so different?"

"What would that be?" Aaron inquired, pulling away from the hug to tuck Quinn's hair behind her ear.

"He actually had to try with me," Quinn explained.

"Well you're worth the work." Aaron complimented and Quinn smiled, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek before wrapping an arm around his waist and leaning her head onto his shoulder.

"Merry Christmas, Aar," Quinn whispered.

"Merry Christmas Quinn." Aaron responded, kissing the top of Quinn's head and sighing.