Chapter 9 - Flae

The House of Lava

26th Year of the Ocean

2nd Moon

"Lady Dragonheir! You have a letter from Avalona!"

Flae glanced over at Ignotus, who lay in the middle of the drawing room, her brows furrowed. "Avalona?" She asked. "Who in Avalona would wish to talk to me?"

"Crown Princess Olivier – Lymphario of the Avalonian Sea's fifth Dragonheir, Lady Ember." The messenger said, reading from the back of the parchment before scrambling into the room – and manoeuvring very nervously around Ignotus on the floor – and placing the letter on the low table before Flae. He bowed deeply before hurrying from the room. Flae had to stop herself from laughing.

"They're all so afraid of you." She remarked, lounging back on the red velvet upholstered chaise lounge. She was slowly becoming used to the finery her new life brought with it. She was no longer surprised by the rich, dark wood of the walls of the House of Lava, nor the gold leaf used to create the murals adorning those walls. Slowly but surely, her skin was ceasing to be irritated by the lavish silk dresses she now wore every day, just as her scalp was adjusting to the feeling of having her hair pinned up elaborately with hairpins of gold and rubies. "You'd think you feasted on their souls or something like the dragon of Anemasi you were telling me about the other day."

Deus of the Spirit Realm is not feared at all for her appetite, however. Ignotus reminded Flae. Much of the fear for me comes from the fact that I could lift my magic any moment and lay waste to all of Ignisia and more by the nature of Mount Igno alone. He nodded towards the parchment on the table. I suggest you read Crown Princess Olivier's message to you.

Flae picked up the parchment and turned it over in her hands so she could assess the sky blue wax seal on the back. A seal swimming in the ocean surrounded a capital I – which she assumed was the initial of the Avalonian royal family. She knew Ignotus had mentioned it in the past few days of lessons he had given her on the other Flareian dragons and countries, but she had forgotten most of it already. Study had never been her strong point. But she thanked Mrs Ember back at the orphanage for forcing her to learn to read and write. Flae couldn't imagine the struggles she would have faced as Dragonheir if she had been illiterate as well as an orphan.

She broke the seal and unfolded the parchment, reading the letter aloud.

"'Flae of the Ember,

It is with my deepest congratulations that I acknowledge your recent ascension as Ignotus of the Volcano's fifth Dragonheir. It came as a welcome surprise when I learned that another dragon had also chosen a female Dragonheir for the first time.

As you may be aware, I have a high standing at my home in Avalona, however, this has not stopped the people from reacting badly to my ascension, as they all anticipated my younger brother, the former Crown Prince, would become Lymphario's fifth Dragonheir, yet this was not the case. Based on the reaction of my people, upon hearing the news of your own ascension, I felt the need to reach out to you in case the people of Ignisia were acting in a similar way.

My father, King Gregór, believes it could be beneficial at this time for the two of us female Dragonheirs to form an alliance in order to help the people get used to seeing Dragonheirs such as ourselves. King Gregór has invited you to visit Avalona at your next convenience, if you wish to form such an alliance.

I hope all is well, and may the dragon protect you.

Sincerely,

Crown Princess Olivier Ivenya