Chapter 16 - Kylan

The Palace of Stars

26th Year of the Ocean

Last Day of the Second Moon

As he landed in the dining hall with a thud, Kylan keeled over, clutching at his stomach. Shadow Travel seemed to have worse consequences when he travelled alone than with Seraphi – he wondered if it was because he was so inexperienced, but he was also thankful that he actually ended up where he intended these days, unlike the first night when he accidentally ended up in Crown Princess Olivier's room.

Not that it had been a bad thing, in the end. After leaving her chambers, he had actually felt rather glad he had Travelled there by mistake.

Now, however, as the nausea passed, he dragged himself up from the marble floor, waiting for the room to stop spinning. Then he bounded into the Hall of Constellations, still gasping for breath.

"You're late, little Dragonheir." Was all the welcome he got from Emperor Nequami.

"Yes, well," Kylan said, "I was rather busy introducing myself to Lady Flae, the Dragonheir of Ignisia. Would it interest you to know that she just so happens to be visiting Avalona at the same time I am?"

Nequami licked his lips in a way that made Kylan want to shudder. "Three Dragonheirs all in one country at once?" He mused. "That is an interesting thing indeed. Such power to behold."

Kylan resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Yes, well, if not for this ridiculous plan of yours, there would only be two Dragonheirs there, and the distribution of power would be a lot more even."

Nequami just laughed. "Don't you see, young Dragonheir? This is my moment. Not only does this give me access to the Sea Dragon, but the Fire Dragon as well! I could so easily hold half of Flareia in the palm of my hands, so long as you do as I ask."

Kylan's hands balled into fists at his side. "You still believe a mere human can have the power to control the six dragons of Flareia?" He asked. "You're a fool."

Then a set of footsteps sounded on the marble behind Kylan, sending a shiver down his spine. "How is my traitor of a sister?" Prince Tommél asked. "Enjoying her short-lived fame?"

Tommél's hair was slightly longer now, and looked as if a barber had fixed the jaggedness of the self-inflicted cut – which Kylan now understood the extremity of. His green eyes, so far from the blue of Olivier's, were cold yet surprisingly amused. Now Kylan had met Olivier, he noticed her brother's skin tone was lighter – he wondered if it was due to him not being allowed to leave the Palace of Stars under Nequami's orders lest he was recognised.

Kylan felt his nails bite into the palms of his hands as he balled his fists tighter. "She attends to her duties as Dragonheir and Crown Princess quite well for someone who has to live with the knowledge that they have a monster like you for a brother, Prince Tommél." He growled.

Tommél laughed – it was a sound that may have once been pleasant, before hatred settled in his heart. "And what of one who has to live with having someone like her as a sister?" He asked. "It is quite the struggle, you know, to have everything stolen from you."

Kylan rolled his eyes. He had known who the real villain was as soon as he laid eyes on the Crown Princess in the cave off the coast of Avalo. Though she had approached him with trepidation, after talking to her that night, he had still only found kindness in her words and manners – nothing of which could be seen in the proud prince standing before him. "Your plan will work poorly if you execute it now." He told the Prince. "Avalona has guests from Ignisia."