Chapter 23 - Corrian

The Palace in the Air

26th Year of the Ocean

3rd Moon

If there was a dining table Corrian desperately didn't want to be seated at, it would definitely be the head table of the dining hall at the Venti Palace in the Air. While part of this was because he desperately just wanted to return to Gaiamere, most of it was due to the fact that he currently sat between Maylif and a rather chatty Venti Princess with not-Gaian green eyes whose name he had forgotten as soon as he heard it. Aspen stood at a pillar to one side, his eyes flitting over the room for any danger. Across the table were the Three Queens – or, at least, the two queens and Crown Princess Varille, who was almost too small to see above the table. Davri sat to Varille's left, quite obviously on edge.

The Gratus Queen sat two seats over from the Venti Dragonheir, seemingly oblivious to the discomfort she was causing most others at the table. Corrian noted that even the too-beautiful Bellus Queen looked rather uncomfortable beside the older queen. They were quite the opposing images, the two queens. The Bellus Queen – who Corrian learned was named Alayah – had pale skin, equally pale hair and almost scarily pale blue eyes, yet was beautiful in an almost otherworldly way; proof that she had inherited the Bellus gift of beauty. Beside her, the Gratus Queen looked stern, unyielding. He hair was pale not from genes but age, streaks of grey colouring the white; her eyes were a darker blue that echoed the sapphires in her crown; her posture was straight, rigid and everything Corrian could ever associate with a power-hungry queen. She glanced haughtily around the table as she ate, but hardly deigned to speak. Every time Corrian glanced her way, he was reminded that she certainly hadn't inherited the Gratus gift of kindness.

For the first time since the meal started, Corrian leant towards the chatty Venti Princess beside him. "Excuse me," he muttered, interrupting her conversation with Maylif.

The princess blinked, seeming presently surprised by his intervention.

"Sorry, but I can't help but wonder..." he said softly, hoping the Queens wouldn't hear him across the table, "the Gratus Queen is the only one without her family's gift, correct?"

The princess nodded a little too enthusiastically. "Oh, yes. From what I've heard, it was quite the scandal when she was chosen by Zero to become Queen – every other queen in Venti history possessed their family's gift. I do believe the public weren't too happy about her ascension either."

Maylif gasped, hitting Corrian's arm. "Perhaps that is why she—"

Corrian brushed her off. "Not here, Maylif." He snapped, before turning back to the princess. "Forgive my betrothed, sometimes she can't help but run her mouth." He grumbled, glaring at Maylif as he spoke the last few words.

The princess just laughed. "Don't worry, dear Maylif, I'm the worst for that as well."

Corrian had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. As he pushed his food around on his plate, he met Aspen's eyes. Corrian pulled a face that he thought would accurately portray his feelings of please kill me now, to which Aspen responded with a wink that clearly said, it's much more fun to watch you suffer. Corrian was about to roll his eyes to the guard when the Gratus Queen finally spoke – and spoke to him.

"Lord Corrian," she began, "I heard the tragic news of Tellus' disappearance merely days ago – I do hope the great Bacchi is coping well enough to sustain your dear country."

Corrian had to mask the shock that threatened to spill onto his face at the thought of her directly addressing him but none of her subjects. "It did take quite the toll on him in the beginning," Corrian told her, being sure to talk slowly and clearly as Aspen had once ordered him as they were sailing to Venteer. "It is to be expected of course – Bacchi is the oldest Flareian dragon, therefore his relationship with Tellus is much deeper than that of other dragons and their Familiars. Though I suspect he would have coped better had my grandfather – the previous Dragonheir – not passed the previous summer. With no Dragonheir and no Familiar, Bacchi had no means of consolation."