Seven | An Insomniac That Counts Stars

For an hour or two, Rosemary tried to fall asleep. Most of Gryffindor house had decided to stay up and celebrate the New Year and to socialize before classes the next day. The New Year had already passed, but any excuse to party was act upon. The students were also trying to distract themselves from what had happened to the Peterson girls.

However, it wasn't the rowdy students of the brave house that we're keeping her up. No, it was the faces of her family, which had kept her up for the last handful of days.

No matter what she did, her thoughts wouldn't drift away from the deaths. Nothing could be done to stop it, nothing distracting her from the one thing she wished to forget.

Marlene had decided to go to the party, and Rosemary couldn't blame her. It had to be the most depressing feeling in the world to be near her right now.

Lily and Alice remained, Alice reading and Lily trying to approach Rosemary every few minutes, until they exhausted themselves and fell asleep.

After the few hours of laying in her four-poster bed, feeling empty and aching, Rosemary gave up on sleep and made her way to the window, brown and golden eyes wide and shining with unshed tears.

Rosemary simply stared out of the window, gazing up at the stars.

The girl lost track of time as she counted the pinpoints of light, but many hours must have passed, for Marlene stumbled into the dormitory in the middle of the night and promptly fell to bed.

Rosemary reached 3,568 and then stopped, figuring that she had recounted them dozens of times.

And so the broken girl stayed until dawn, when the brilliant orange sun rose over the horizon and began to illuminate the Forbidden Forest that hid in the shade.

Perhaps the sun brought hope.

Perhaps it simply brought another day of torture.