Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"I'm sorry,"

I walked back to Nina's apartment and dropped my bag on my bed slowly. I wasn't aware of anything at that moment, only Taehyung.

I wonder what he's thinking of right now? Where is he? What is he doing?

Oh no. What have I done?

I looked at myself in the mirror and closed my eyes, not content about the vulnerably and pain susceptible person I see in front of me.

I'll never be good enough for him.

My head jerked to the left when a sudden knock vibrated on my bedroom door.

"Sana." A soft voice called out for my name before asking permission, "May I come in?"

I swivelled my body around and headed for the door. I turned the doorknob to see Nina holding a box of assorted chocolates and a beautifully arranged bouquet of flowers which were so pleasing to the eye.

"Wow, Nina. Who's that from?" I asked, my excited voice working hard in attempts to mask the ache of my body.

It was odd that Nina kept stuttering, "Uh—um, I'm actually not sure. I just found it at the front door."

I approached her sub-consciously and grabbed the flowers out of her hands. Then a card slipped out of from the petals and dropped onto the floor, taking me by surprise. I went to go pick it up to have a read.

'Sana'

My eyes shot open in surprise, "Nina, this is for me!"

Nina looked at me and clapped her hands in unison, "Yay!" She said. "My best friend's got a secret admirer!"

She began to tease and I gave her the death stare, communicating to her to stop.

Nevertheless, my eyes wandered upon the card, reading the words imprinted in elegant handwriting.

Sana. I gave you these flowers because you deserve these. Also, these chocolates. Lots of love.

I flipped the card to the opposite side, mind conflicted as I tried to figure out who exactly sent these.

It couldn't be him.

Nina let out a gasp and without further warning, she snatched the chocolates that were placed in my hands.

"Mine!" She celebrated while giving me a smile of victory. Excitedly, she bolted to the kitchen, grabbing a pair of scissors in order to dismantle the tape attached to the box.

I let her be.

However the important question lingered ever so adversely in my mind. The question being, who brought me these?

My feet slowly made their way to the kitchen when to find Nina chomping on the chocolates like there was no tomorrow.

"Who could've brought me these?" I asked, my arms folding over my chest as my mind wandered.

"Oh well, it's kind of scary though because I saw someone—"

My eyes shot open at her statement. I sprinted to her in a haste and interrupted her with a desperate shout, "Who!"

"Yah, calm down!" She raised her voice in a scolding manner. Yet, on the contrary, as she continued, her voice suddenly dropped to a mere whisper. "I saw this man, late 50's perhaps, run to the stairs when I met him at the elevator,"

My eyebrows furrowed as I eagerly asked the next question, "What did he wear? What was he wearing?"

Nina carelessly ignored my eagerness because she was busy eating her, or MY chocolates, in that matter. I looked down at her hand and slapped it, making the chocolates scatter messily on the tiles.

"Nina !" I tried to scare some sense into her. "Focus,"

When she was about to utter another word that I was anticipating for, her eyes literally rolled to the back of her head as her body crumbled onto the floor, her head slamming onto the tiles. It took me a few brief moments to register what in the world just happened and then it hit me. My best friend had collapsed.

I rushed down to her, shaking her shoulders violently, "Nina! Wake up!"

Blood choked itself up her throat as the red, thick liquid from aggressively erupt from her mouth. My eyes widened in shock as panicked tears streamed down my cheeks.

I NEED TO DO SOMETHING.

I grabbed my phone hastily from the kitchen counter and dialed the ambulance to which I got a rapid response to.

The ambulance had arrived and the paramedics escorted Nina's frail body into the vehicle, me following closely behind. I sat next to her, holding her cold hand in hopes that she'll be okay.

"Don't leave me, don't leave me, don't leave me," I sobbed into her hand. "Please..."

As soon as we got to the hospital, I was advised to go sit in the waiting area while the doctors attend to her.

"Please take care of my best friend," I pleaded, thick salty perspiration hiding the normal glint of my orbs. "Please..."

The nurse nodded before reassuring me that they'll try their best before opening the door to the emergency room. My exhausted feet dragged itself  slowly to take a seat yet to my dismay, I found myself on the floor, my poor lifeless body leaning on the wall.

Who could've done this?

After waiting quite a few hours, the doctor came out to see me. I stood up in a haste and widened my eyes, racing over to him.

"Is she okay?" I asked, trying to search for the doctor's reassuring eyes. However, his eyes were all but reassuring and a weird gut feeling churned inside me. "How is she?"

The doctor shook his head.

I took a deep breath in, and a deep breath out. No, no, no—

"I'm sorry."

My heart dropped at the first two words that I was so unfortunate to hear. I shut my eyes closed, releasing all the tears stored inside as they raced down my cheeks. Hair strands stuck onto my face messily.

"We did everything we could however we couldn't save her."

I took a step back and rested my face into hands causing the liquid to dampen

"She was poisoned," The doctor continued, "I'm sorry."

The doctor comforted me by rubbing my back, looking all sincere as he excused herself.
I stare at the clock, '23:39' and I felt as if as each day passes by and that specific time shows, I will reminisce this horrid nightmare.

I was alone. Standing, isolated from reality. I kept my head down as I reached for a seat. I took a seat and sobbed.

Why? Why her, not me? Take me. Don't take her. She deserves to live more than me. More people love her.

I felt as if the whole scenario of my mother left me again. My heart scorched, fuming in frustration and agony. All the people that I love, all of them, taken. Taken away from me carelessly.

I took a deep breath in. But, my salty tears overwhelmed me. I was scared. Scared of how cruel life was. Scared of what other things it is capable of doing.

Then, I felt someone tap my shoulder.

"Everything will be okay..." I heard a voice comfortingly say. I mentally chuckled at the poor and ineffective attempt to comfort me.

Curious as to who it was, I took my hands out of my face and turned around.

"Taehyung?"