Training Day...Take Two

I was back in the deployment room. James was not on the other team, as he was off on a mission. McCree was catching me up on what I missed out on for last couple of weeks. He told me that not much happened. Something interesting happened though. According to McCree, 76 hasn't been himself lately. I thought that it was weird, and McCree agreed. "I tried to get him to tell me what was eatin' him. He just wouldn't budge." McCree shrugged.

"I would expect nothing less." I managed to laugh. McCree joined in.

"Eyes on me!" Everyone turned to Soldier 76 once again, everything stopping for him. Once again he told us our objectives. I was still the only healer. Now, when people looked at me, they seemed more kind. They probably were trying to help me forget what happened last time.

"Attack Objective A." Athena announced as the door opened. I was in the last wave to leave. Our team was composed of: Reinhardt, McCree, Soldier, Hanzo, and D.Va. Jack was in the last wave, very unusual for him. He was probably making sure I would be able to fight in real combat by observing me more closely. I felt nervous with him having me in his sights. Hanzo got 'shot in the shoulder' by Mei. He stumbled back, McCree pulling him out of the fight. I rushed over, 'patching him up'. Mei put up an ice wall, blocking off D.Va's nerf.

"Dangit you noob!" D.Va yelled in anger.

Our team wasn't doing very well. Mei was putting in some work. She was trying make up have a bad day I guess.

Mei was getting ready to spray me frozen. I got my blaster ready, waiting for the wall to break. My hands shook, I never killed anyone in training or on missions. My gun was puny, but I was very mobile. The wall broke. I started shooting her, but my paintballs were 'barely hurting her'. She began to spray me. "Uh oh." I mumbled under my breath.

"Its high noon."

McCree dead eye'd Mei and Symmetra. Mercy was not on their team, so they could not be revived. They trudged back to their deployment room.

"Thanks, McCree." I looked to him gratefully.

"Just a friend helpin' out a friend." McCree bowed his hat towards me. I laughed. What a nice friend he was.

Now that the first match of the day was over, everyone had a break. I talked to McCree and D.Va for a while. Whilst talking to them, Jack intervened. He wanted to talk to me in private. We both walked into a private area.

"You didn't prove to me you could kill if you had to." Jack sounded disappointed.

"I was going to but-"

"She could have froze you, and then pierced your skull with an ice shard."

I fell silent.

"You have one more chance with this final match. To prove to me you can fight. You can defend yourself."

My eyes went wide. Does he know? Oh my god what if he knows about how James really is?

He patted me on the back, causing me to flinch a bit. "I know you can do it. Just need to pull it together." He did not sound like himself, was something wrong?

I nodded, smiling. "I won't let you down."

"I'd expect nothing less from you."

I nodded, trying not to blush. Why am I turning red? What is going on with me? As fast as this moment happened, it was over. I quickly went back to McCree and D.Va.

The deployment door opened and I was now more determined than ever to show Jack that I could do it. I was close to the combat, a very risky choice. I shot at people as I ran to cover. I got a double kill, taking out Mei and her glasses, and Lucío. I didn't realize what I did until my team looked at me in shock. I couldn't help but feel bad. They walked towards their deployment ship both stunned and disappointed. I went back to healing more than attacking.