The Water Faerie

Soft crying whispered its way through the wind, catching my attention and causing my fingers to halt on the strings of my lute. I sat up a bit straighter, my attention drawn to the soft muffled sounds. I finally slid off the boulder I was sitting on, my belt dragging along the surface, causing more of a ruckus than I had intended as it had a chance for me to lose track of the noise. The weeping still danced with the wind tickling my ears, it's shallow sound giving me a path to follow. Wandering, keeping my feet light and watching the trees swaying gave me gentle hints of where to find whoever was making such sounds, pointing me towards the location. Taking their hints with grace I found myself nearing a large tree with many branches pulled down; pink and purple flowers kissed the surface of the branches draped gently over the silver rocks on the ground. I let out a soft sigh at the irony that came with the sound, being found under a weeping willow tree. Though I supposed it was fitting in a way; shaking the irony away I called out. "Oh, where is such a sad sound coming from? Are you hurt?" The wailing halted momentarily(,) only to begin once more, a small voice responding between the sobs.

"Pl..Please help me..." The tiny voice came low from the ground and I sunk to my knees to get a better idea of where to pinpoint it. I hadn't made out what the creature was but it was very small and seemed to be in some sort of distress. Softly I let my hands run over the surface of the smooth stones and rustled them around to look for any signs of weeping life that were to be hidden beneath. The whimpering grew louder with every stone I shifted and soon a silver ball caught my eye amongst the stones. It radiated a white- blue aura, silver strands of hair flowing in an elegant fashion around the ghost pale figure enveloping her from all sides. I whispered in a gentle voice, peering down closer to her.

"Hey, it's alright. I found you, there is no need to fear any longer." With that, she sat up looking up at me tears streamed down her face like water on a window. The look on her tiny face was one of confusion and disarray, reaching up to wipe her eyes her voice was quiet and soft.

"Wh..Where are you... I can't see you. I can't see anything or anyone. I am so scared..." Quivering, she ducked back down into her hands and sobbed more. I knew that I could not convey to her anything with facial expression because for her there was nothing to be seen. So I sat next to her, letting her feel my presence.

"Just because you cannot see me does not mean I am not here. Be easy now child and hush your sorrows, let us just talk." A smile rest upon my face once I was done talking, she looked at me once more, feeling the fabric of my vest hit her feet. Sitting up once more she hugged her knees tightly, looking around quickly, finally giving up and accepting her fate of being unable to see me. I got a fairly good look of her now, and was pleasantly surprised. Standing at a mere five inches, she was a very tiny creature. I had come across many things during my travels from the tallest ogres and giants to the tiniest pixies but here she was shorter than most creatures. She had silver hair that went well past her feet and her tiny body rested on top of it, coming from her head in wispy feathers. Bangs sat across her face in a jagged and uneven fashion with the slightest shade of blue underneath them. Her outfit was a plain white satin dress laced with robin egg blue frills with the same shade of blue slippers speckled with white. What really took me aback was the crystal clear pools that sat on her face; those eyes held the world's secrets in them and were glittering vibrantly. Her eyes prominently stuck out, sparklingly with shades of blue I hadn't ever come across yet in my many years; gemstones of blue so very light it was as if they had swallowed up the clearest skies and seas in them. Speaking again, she tore my gaze away from her.

"I... I am so very lost and I cannot see my way home. The winds give me no guidance, the animals speak in tongues I have never heard before, my heart grows heavier the more I am away from home, making my wings unable to lift me away from this place. I am surrounded with the unknown of which I am not able to comprehend, and my soul is festering with sadness. You have sat and said you wish to converse with me and yet there is nothing to converse about, leaving your kindness widowed. I have to apologize for this all.... My crying must seem irrational but yet my sight being taken away in such an abrupt fashion has me startled and not to mention the fact that the whole world of which I can understand is not the one I know of." She kept her voice steady as she tried to rise to her feet but she fell back down and let out a pitiful laugh. Wings? I hadn't seen them yet but it had clicked in that moment that my little lost friend here is either a pixie or faerie. The telling factor between them is their wings, faeries have wings that curl down and pixies curl up, so I wouldn't be able to tell until she showed me.