VI

Warning! Please read: This chapter has very graphic descriptions of rather disgusting matters. They aren't like completely "I'm-vomiting-up-my-guts" worthy, but it is kind of uncomfortable. Proceed with caution. If you are triggered by that kind of stuff, (AKA you break down emotionally if you are exposed to something) I suggest you skip to the next chapter (if it's out) and try to follow it as best as you can. HOWEVER, if you are just lazy and want to skip a chapter, don't. If you're gonna read the story, read it, that's all I'm gonna say about that. Enjoy!

-FFC

I glared at the zombies around me, realizing it was probably not going to work if we talk it out. I looked around me once more, bovine. I closed my eyes, remembering the burning in my ankle, my mother's doe-eyes, and my shield of courage. I mentally retrieved the shield, blanketing myself in the powers I didn't know I bestowed. "Come on boys," I said to the zombies, opening my eyes. "Who wants some left-overs?" I jumped up, swinging out my leg. It struck the zombie in front of me, earning me a satisfactory crack. The zombie fell, granting me an entrance. I ran forward, picking up a forlorn branch that was in the middle of my drive way and throwing it, as if ti were a spear, at the zombie that was blocking my back. It sunk into it's chest, right in the middle of the marking. The zombie fell, it was dead... again.

My eyes fell to the two remaining zombies, they were now limping towards me, the familiar noise still making me wince. I looked around me, searching for resources. I ran over to a few rocks, I knelt down and scooped up about seven.  I ran to the side of my house, going to the garden tools, only to be greeted by another pack of zombies. They spun around on their heels and growled loudly at me, one even spat on my foot to show rebellion.

"Shit!" I hissed, looking back behind me only to see the two that had originally cornered me, plus a few buddies. I swiveled around, the gears in my head briskly spinning and revolving, formulating another plan. My eyes fell to the the pack in front of me, the leader had its foot clamped on a dull hoe. It was weak, but it would have to do.

My hands gripped the biggest rock I could detect in my pocket. I tested the weight in a half second, and unveiled it from my pocket, throwing it at the zombie with every atom of force I could use. The rock cuffed the zombie right in between its eyebrows. The zombie stepped back, staggering, and fell, releasing the hoe.

I ran over, but was held back by a zombie's long, yellow nails that dug into my shoulder. I turned around and curled my ahnd into a fist, swinging recklessly at the zombie's temple. It struck him, and his eyes contorted, wanting to deflect the punch, but failing and falling back. I placed my hand, opposite of the shoulder that had been clawed, on the wound and ran to the hoe.

As soon as I was within a foot of the hoe, I released my wounded shoulder and scooped up the tool, swinging it at the zombie that had attempted to grab me. The silver metal sunk into the zombie's neck, causing dark red blood to spew out, spraying on my face in an inhumane way. I unhooked the hoe from it's neck and whacked the next zombie in the back, near where I thought the lungs would be. The zombie recoiled and charged at me. I jumped up, placing my foot on the wall near the tools, and put my whole weight on it. I bounced off, too far off. I made impact with the fence that separated my house from our neighbor's. "Gah!" I grunted as one of the spikes on the top of the fence cut into my back, causing sticky blood to drip out.

The whole fence collapsed under my weight, and I laid in the heap of debris on stray metal for a few moments, attempting to shake off disorientation. I held my breath as three zombies started limping towards me. I cursed myself mentally, trying to develop a sort of scheme to get me a few more days of precious life.

I closed my eyes, breathing heavy. Come on... I cursed myself. I'm smart, I knew I could figure out something. The gears in my head started spinning again, working around the cloudy fatigue that clogged my thought process, brought to me by the fence that was now crumpled around me. I rested my head back, wishing to come up with a shiny scrap of an idea. Think... think!