XXIV THE FINAL CHAPTER

DALTON

No.

My body and mind resented the thought of Caden being dead. Ever since I had first laid eyes on him, when he was arm candy for Russell at my brainless party all those months ago-- had it already been a year?-- I had felt an odd buzzing in my chest that had his signature on it. Ever since he was like a guilty pleasure. I knew I was acting like a half-wit hero in search of a one time love. But I just wanted to see him again.

I had saved his life... or, at least I thought I had. Perhaps I had simply made it more long and more painful.

A sick, heavy nauseous feeling pounded my stomach. No, this couldn't be happening. Neve and Ramona were wrong, clearly.

I stood back up, dusting myself off, tears burning my eyes, but I wouldn't let them fall. "Where is he?"

Sally pushed a strand of her frail hair behind her ear, "Dalton, just take a few deep breaths."

"I want to see him!" I said, letting my temper snap.

Sally took a step back, alarmed. The alarm quickly faded. Her hand flew at me suddenly, smacking me with an audible pop. "You must be severely delirious!" She hissed. She was nice to the naked eye, but as soon as someone gave her crap she lashed out, and I knew from having the short end of the stick that she could be lethal if she wanted to.

I fougt to retain my cool posture, knowing that my confidence was sometimes one of the only things that kept me from crumbing under the weight of my ADHD mind. "Just tell me where he is!"

Sally rolled her eyes, "Heidi and Hutch made a casket for him, for the funeral. They put him in there, near the weapon cabin. They're near it, making sure Mae doesn't get too close."

"Pretty sure they're guarding it from you, too," Neve murmured, but I acted like I didn't hear it.

I stormed out of the medical cabin and ran to the weapon one, catching the glares of the twins, Heidi and Hutch. They had set up a wooden table and two plastic stools, an array of playing cards between them. The twins and matching red hair and brown eyes, but Hutch had tan skin, and Heidi was sickly pale. Hutch was also pretty built-- a common side effect from running for your life every day. Heidi had the body weight of a piece of paper.

I eyed Hutch carefully as he stood up to sto me from reaching the casket. The top was over it. Every time I was around Hutch, I get a weird feeling in my stomach. He was simply unpleasant to be around. Not to everyone, in fact he's favored around the campfire to tell a funny story or two. And I had too fallen for his charisma. We had gone out for a very long while, but it crashed and burned per usual. It's a long story, and not one that I like to tell. Let's just say we both had something of the others that we couldn't get back. Hint: it rhymes with schmirginity.

Hutch's lips twisted into a rueful frown as he held up a hand to stop me from going any further. "Dalton, I'm gonna need you to stop right there."

"Y'know, it's pretty ridiculous that two eighteen year old's have to fend off a three year old from a body," I snapped.

Hutch snorted, "I think you mean a three year old and a seventeen year old."

I ignored him, too many things on my mind for me to dwell on one. "Just let me see him, I have a feeling Neve and Ramona were mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time."

"Don't insult them!" Hutch gave me a light shove, but I didn't budge. "They're one of the only things that keep The Uncles from crumbling!"

I rolled my eyes, the brutish Hutch always had to have the last word. "What's the harm in me seeing Caden?"