Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

{Niall’s POV:}

The song ended and my phone which sat on the table face down automatically began to buzz. I picked it up quickly off the smooth surface and peered at the screen.

A single name shone on the screen filling me with shock. There is was, six letters long. A cheesy nickname I call my best mate.

Leeyum.

I sucked in a breath and turned my face upwards to look at Lily who sat across from me. Her dazzling eyes examined my behavior, a confused look playing on her lovely face.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized. “But I have to take this call. You won’t mind will you? I’ll be back in just a moment, I promise.”

I said the words quickly, feeling guilty as ever as she shook her head no.

“No, it’s okay. Go ahead.” She said, lifting the coffee I’d bought for her up to her lips to take a sip.

I flashed her a grateful smiled and said a quick thank you before grabbing my coffee and walking outside, my cell phone still buzzing with Liam’s name on it.

I made my way out the double doors and held the phone up to my ear, gripping it tightly as my palms grew sweaty from nervousness. I looked out of the corner of my eye, seeing Lily sipping her coffee and staring at me.  I looked away a little silently and spoke into the receiver now, a simple greeting to show that I was present for Liam’s call.  “Hello?” I asked, my dark eyebrows furrowing in concentration as I listened for an answer.

At first, all I heard were heavy breaths and other mixed sounds. Hmm… weird. I wondered what that was about.

 “L-Liam!” I exclaimed, hoping he would answer me somehow. “Are you okay? What’s going on?”

Then I heard more of the weird sounds and heavy breaths, and my mind fit the puzzle pieces together. “Are you… crying?”

I heard a deep sigh, and then finally Liam’s voice a moment later. “N-Niall?”

I bit my lip softly. “Liam! What’s going on? Why’d you call?”

His voice is shaky. “I-I-I’m in the h-hospital.”

I rush of panic flooded over me and I pressed the phone closer to my ear.

“The hospital? What the fuck happened to you?”

Liam sighed again, and his voice got more shaky than before. “It’s not me Nialler. I’m not hurt.”

“What?!” I replied rather loudly. “Then who is?”

Liam started crying, his loud sobs floating to my ear and making me feel extremely nervous and more tense by the second.

What the hell happened?

“Liam!” I cried, scared for what my best mate was going to tell me. Clearly the news wasn’t good. It had brought him to tears.

Still no answer came and I said it again, louder and more desperate this time.

“LIAM!”

He sniffled and paused his crying for a bit, probably wiping away his tears. “Niall… it’s Josie.”

My eyes widened and my mouth formed an O shape.

Shit.

It was Josie.

“Alright, please try to calm down Liam. I’ll be over there as soon as possible, I promise. I’m bringing Lily with me. Please don’t worry.”