Chapter Sixteen

"I'll take you to Spiderstar," Emberpaw assured them calmly. "He's a reasonable cat. I'm sure we can work something out."

     The two rogues nodded, though Missy and Tori still looked wary. They lifted each paw up to step over the grass in their path, snorting uncomfortably.

     They don't come her often.. he thought amusedly. He led the way up a steep slope to arrive about three fox-lengths from the Twoleg den. "Here we are," he meowed, flicking his tail and bounding forward.

     He could hear the paw steps of the two cats behind him, panting. He pricked his ears, only to flatten them as Shadespot strode up.

"There you are!" the tom exclaimed. "Softgorse has been worried sick about you! Get your-" He froze as he spotted Tori and Missy.

     "This is Tori and Missy," he explained, flicking his tail to the two cats. "This is their home." He nodded toward the den. "They wish to speak with Spiderstar."

Shadespot gave them a suspicious look before nodding. "Alright," he mewed. "Follow me."

The warrior led them into the den; Tori and Missy looked around warily at all the cats around them, flicking their ears in interest.

Spiderstar strode up, looking the two loners over with curiosity and suspicion. "Hello," he greeted gruffly. "Emberpaw, why have you brought them here?"

     Emberpaw dipped his head politely. "They have something they'd like to discuss with you," he explained. "You see, they say this is their home. I was thinking maybe you could talk and work something out?" The apprentice gave his leader a knowing look.

     The lean tom returned the apprentice's gaze with hard stare before turning to the two cats before him, who looked around warily. "I'm sure that would be possible," he murmured slowly. "Follow me, you two. And you, Emberpaw."

Emberpaw brought up the rear as Spiderstar led the way to a small hole in the wall, yet big enough for a cat to slip through. The WindClan apprentice suppressed a purr of amusement as he cast a glance at Missy's round belly.

Better hope she fits through the wall.. She's plump as a hare in newleaf!

He pushed the thought away, as it was his turn to slide his way through the wall. Emberpaw noticed Missy looking around the den, approvingly. She muttered something into Tori's ear and faced Spiderstar again.

"So," the leader began. "What brings you to our.... camp."

"Well, you see, this used to be our home." Tori explained. "We are runaway kittypets. But just a few sunrises ago, we left to go visit a friend in Twolegplace."

     Missy finished. "But when it started to storm, we knew it would be foolish to travel back in that mess, so we stayed with our friend. When we returned, you all were here."

     Spiderstar nodded in understanding. "I'm very sorry about the surprise," he meowed.

     Emberpaw's gaze bore into Spiderstar's face. Aren't you going to tell them why we're here? He was silently demanding that he did, but did not speak up.

     "Why are you all here?" Tori asked.

    You have to tell them now..

     Emberpaw saw Spiderstar's gaze flash. "Well, uh.."

     You and your "weakness!"

     The WindClan tom rose to his paws. "Well, we sort of had a mishap with the storm-"

     "Emberpaw, it's time you left," Spiderstar said quickly. "Off you go. Softgorse has been looking for you."

     Emberpaw looked at his leader, bewildered. What could these loners do to harm them? He glared at his leader, but nodded silently.

     He padded out into the clearing, looking around for his mentor. She was crouched by the fresh-kill pile with Shadespot, who was rhythmically grooming his paws.

     The apprentice padded over and plopped down beside them, licking a paw and drawing it over his ear.

     "And there he is," Shadespot commented, eyeing him amusedly. "About time you came for some training."

     Softgorse smiled at him. "Hello, Emberpaw," she purred. "I've been looking for you."

     "So I've heard," he replied, whiskers twitching.

     "Yeah.. Say, where were you, anyway?" The WindClan tom was now looking at him, his gaze alight with curiosity and confusion.

     Emberpaw froze and his blood ran cold. They can't know I was with Cinderpaw!