Chapter Eighteen

Emberpaw's bright amber gaze shot open as a paw prodded his side. He raised his head expectantly to find Softgorse standing over him. "Come on, Emberpaw," she mewed in a hushed tone. "I got a few more cats to help us."

     As she slipped out of the den, quicker than a blink, the WindClan tom was on his paws. More cats to help them? Pelt twitching with curiosity, he picked his way out of the apprentices den to follow his mentor into the clearing.

     The cream she-cat was sitting in a tight circle in a corner with Deerspot, Cloverheart, Shadespot, and Ashblaze. Emberpaw trotted up and plopped in beside Ashblaze, who gave him a nod of approval. Softgorse smiled at him.

     "Alright," she mewed. "Everyone ready?"

     They all nodded and got to their paws. Softgorse took the lead as they quietly exited the Twoleg den. Shadespot halted right outside and sat down.

Softgorse stopped. "You aren't coming?" she asked.

Shadespot smiled at her. "Someone has to watch the camp." He nodded her farewell. "Talk to RiverClan. Get their help." The tom briefly touched his nose to hers. "For WindClan."

     "For WindClan," they all murmured, their eyes bright.

     Emberpaw couldn't help but smile at the strong bond between his mentor and Shadespot. Interesting.. I wonder how that happened.

     Softgorse took off across the moor, the group following her. Emberpaw took up the rear as their paws thrummed against the soil.

     After crossing the moor and hopping a few rabbit holes and narrow dips in the ground, they reached the border.

    "Will we wait for a patrol?" Deerspot asked Softgorse, her ears pricked for any sound.

     "We can't risk our Clan noticing our disappearance," she replied, glancing around. "We'll go into their camp immediately." She led the way over the border. "Do not try and mask your presence. They mustn't think we don't want to be found."

     After a few moments of passing small beech trees and shells along the banks, the strong scent of the RiverClan camp stung Emberpaw's nostrils. "We're close," he whispered.

    "A bit too close," a voice rang out.

     The group whipped around to be met with three RiverClan cats. One of the cats braced for attack, but another raised their tail.

     "Wait," the tom mewed. "The patrol is too small for an attack, Bubblefur."

     The lighter grey tom, supposedly Bubblefur, straightened. "Right," he mewed. "Sorry, Beechclaw."

     The black tom waved to the third cat, a white she-cat who hadn't spoken. She looked to be about Emberpaw's age. "Frostpetal, go inform Cedarstar," he meowed. "We'll be right behind you."

     Emberpaw twitched an ear as he took in the white she-cat's behavior. She kept casting glances at him, and looking away quickly. Her pelt was prickling with nervousness every time she looked at him.

     What's up with her? Emberpaw thought absentmindedly as she hurried away.

     Once she'd disappeared, Beechclaw looked them over. "So," he grunted. "What brings you WindClan cats to RiverClan territory?" His tone was kind, for dealing with trespassers.

     "Our leader does not know we've come to you.." Softgorse sighed, sitting down. "But we had no choice.. We need your help."