Chapter 1 - The Fitter part 1

set during chapter 27 and 28 of Glass Sword

Cal watched Mare's discussion with the Colonel with agitation. Obviously, there was going to be an alliance between those two. An alliance that demanded of them to petrify their hearts. Like on a thousand other occasions, Cal wanted to touch Mare, embrace her and talk her through her misery. But all the times he'd tried this, Mare had blocked him off, using their kisses as a way to lie and dissemble. And he remembered what has happened just a short time ago - how he'd accused Mare, calling her a monster in all but name. He'd been thinking about those words for quite some time and still, they'd made no difference. What had he hoped for, anyway? That Mare would have crumbled, finally confessing her fears to someone else beside her lonely self? Well, that hadn't worked in the least and now, he didn't have any idea how to help Mare. He looked at her, again, and caught her watching him as well. He didn't pull his gaze away, but he was too frozen to offer her anything encouraging, while Mare's face consisted to equal parts of sorrow and determination. She was the one to turn around and Cal walked off the assembly point for a few moments of solitude.

Refreshing himself could only do so much to chase off the exhaustion of battle and death. As he was ignorant of the facilities at Tuck, he had to ask for directions despite his wish for silence. At least the civillian boy didn't shrieked away from him. Maybe he was no one to recognize after all. Now, Cal sighed as he approached the Blackrun Ada had flied here. He'd take it back to the notch, to gather those they'd left behind last evening. Maybe he shouldn't do this, maybe he should have given this task to someone else and gotten himself some rest, some sleep after the perversely successfull prison break. But he knew there was no other person for this job, there never was, and he was damn certain Mare didn't allow herself rest, either. Despite this, he decided to take someone with him, to help with the baggage he could grant the young Newbloods to bring with them, and to voice the facts he'd certainly have forgotten to mention. He pondered on this, until he noticed a person moving on his right.

Cal startled as he saw Farley. Her stance was far from her usually self-confident demeanour and crying hadn't improved her blotched face, either. Yet, her words were bold and determined, coming before Cal handled his surprise.

"You're going to the notch? To gather the kids?"

Cal merely nodded.

"I'm coming with you," she said. "I need something from there."

He frowned. He had expected her to - what exactly? To cry in her pillows? To stand vigil over her boyfriend's body? He had no reason to judge someone's way to mourn and her glare at him while she walked up to the Blackrun, to him, forbade him to object. He'd wanted a companion to begin with and so he just patted her shoulder.

"As you wish," he conceded, but her answering smile was an epitome of cynism.

During the flight, Farley turned her gaze to the window. She seemed almost calm, if it weren't for her squatted bearing in her seat. She only tried to hide her turmoils inside herself, as just fastening her seatbelt had happened with unduly concentration on her part. She brooded in silence. Cal was unable to keep himself from glancing at her every now and then. He felt responsible for taking care of her, he couldn't help it. She was in mourning and definitely not okay, however fierce she pretended to be. That didn't mean he knew how to help her, besides staying at her side.

After an hour in the airjet, he turned his head, startled by a quiet sob. He didn't see Farley cry, only rubbing her eye with her hand. So apparently, his watch had been ineffective, if her tears remained unnoticed. But now, she looked at Cal, ending the quietness in the cockpit.

"It's still quite a distraction, to see the sky from up here," she said. "Shade's never gotten used to flying or even to appreciate the view. It makes him sick and I've teased him endlessly about it," she continued with a chuckle. "Of course, he'd backfire immediately, as I knew very well he would, because I get nausea from his jumping."