Chapter 7 - The Rose part II

set at the same time as chapter 1: during Glass Sword chapters 27 & 28

Evangeline watched the pale light of dawn fall on her lover's hair. It was beautiful, just as everything about her, like the memories from last night. The things Sonya could do with her nimble hands! Evangeline had only ever felt fulfillment when she was with Sonya and yet, some nights shrouded in secrecy were all that was granted to them. Evangeline was going to be the queen, her reputation had to be impeccable; she wasn't supposed to have other dalliances. Although she was well aware, and envious, of the arrangement Tiberias V had made with his queen and his lover in his time. She fantasized about something similar, for one day in the future, to hold on to the bond she had with Sonya and that had existed for as long as they were able to remember. But for now, looking at Sonya was like staying awake to chase a dream.

She left Sonya sleeping after she had grapped a robe and returned to her own rooms. She wondered if she wasn't pronouncedly suspicious by sneaking away in the early hours instead of staying with Sonya, as if nothing was wrong with that. But she knew that was a delusion; there were more than enough people making guesses about the true nature of the relationship between the king's betrothed and Sonya Iral and hence, it was better not to draw attention. King Maven himself was one of these persons, and Evangeline knew very well that he wouldn't like it if she was openly unfaithful to her future husband.

Sometimes, she regretted these trysts herself. Becoming queen was the one goal that counted to Evangeline, so why did she imperil her exaltation? She could only assume she felt entitled to be with Sonya - to love. She was unable to see why she should waive happiness - and that was what it was - just because she was queen. Evangeline had fortune on her side, and it was her right to have everything she desired.

She hadn't been in her rooms for more than a few minutes when someone knocked on her door. A too-eager servant, she supposed. But the person who entered upon her "come in," wasn't a Red, it was a sentinel.

"My Lady Samos," the sentinel greeted her. "Your presence is required by His Majesty."

"At this time?" Evangeline raised an eyebrow.

"If you need a moment, my lady, here you go."

Evangeline could her the smirk in the sentinel's voice and she realized who she was.

That bitch.

She clapped her hands, raising her maid-servants. "I'll be in His Majesty's rooms in a flash," she said, showing a vicious grin in return.

"In his office, my lady."

"Of course, Sentinel Griffey. Go back and tell him."

"I'm afraid I'm supposed to escort you, my lady. Royal orders."

Evangeline took every effort not to reveal the irritation this commoner bastard was willfully provoking in her. "Cetainly you are," she replied with sugar-coated acid in her voice, and she continued to dress without any further glance at the woman leaning on the doorframe.

I should be wearing metal today, Evangeline thought to herself as she arrived in the king's conference room. He was sitting there, still as a statue, frowning at a video screen as Samson Merandus prattled to him while his other advisors seemed too afraid to utter a single word.

"Your Majesty," she greeted the king with a curtsey. Seconds dragged on until Maven turned to her. Merandus blinked and smiled.

"My Lady Evangeline," Maven said after another tense pause. "We have suffered a vicious attack, and a great, terrible loss. Thus, the need for extended protection for your person has arisen." He motioned to Griffey who scampered in the background. But Maven wasn't actually bothered about sentinels. Something else gnawed at him, an event too horrible to word. Silence fell again.