Chapter XV - The Sun and The Swimmer part I

The next chapters will jump back and forth in time a little. I'll try include dates whenever it's possible.

This chapter might get, only a little, smutty. Not really explicit, but, well. You've been warned.

There's even my version of the infamous bathtub scene.

The woman held the audience in entrancement. The Red soldiers listening to her voice were currently relieved from the fights in the trenches, recuperating or merely seeking distraction by gathering on this night. Yet Tramy wasn't fooled by the sweet singing. It was all pretend, old and new wounds forgotten for a few drinks. Not that he hadn't chosen events of the same kind to spend his days and nights in the camp when he had been one of the conscripted. He has searched for every opportunity to chase away the memories of the horrors he had seen.

But on this evening, he had another task to fulfill. It was the woman, just finishing her last song. She waved to the crowd, as if they were her friends and comrades. Of course they weren't.

Just her elegant and tailored clothing in orange and blue, too expensive for Reds, gave her away. The more obvious proof were the flames flickering around her, illuminating her pretty face and the makeshift stage. It was unnatural fire, controlled by the power of a Silver. She was a burner, like the royal family. And she was an officer oft he dagger legion, which was the reason Tramy had shadowed her for several days now.

Lacey Ventos. A captain, fresh from the military academy or whatever it was called. A bloody beginner had been assigned to the dagger legion, just as inexperienced as the children sent to die in the trenches. How fitting. King Maven seem interested to guarantee that the little legion had no chance of survival, only to make a point to Mare. Tramy clenched his fists as he thought of his sister. No. He couldn't afford to remember her at this moment. He had to trust in Farley and the ex-prince to free his sister. In the meantime, he was to make sure that Mare's mission of saving the dagger legion would be successful.

Tramy had decided to come the the Choke, along with his older brother Bree. And Tramy had decided to take this task; getting close to Captain Ventos. He bit his lip, unsure if this would turn out as planned. He had caught Ventos's eye before and tonight, he would cross her path again. Until she would finally invite him in. Because it was rumoured that she preferred Reds to Silvers.

Harrick and Nanny had been the ones to spy among the Silvers, putting their Newblood abilities to good use, to the rejoice of the Colonel. They had come back with this information. Tramy and the other Gurads had kept to mingling with the usual soldiers, but to achieve their goal of evacuating the child legion, with their original plan possibly compromised, they had to start at point zero. Sneaking in helped them only to a point, the Scarlet Guard needed first hand intelligence from the Silver officers and that was where Ventos and Tramy entered the plot.

He knew which way she would take to her dwelling. It seemed so easy to meet her, like she was a normal person, like they were just a boy and a girl during a cold night they didn't want to spend alone. It wasn't like that. It was all a ruse, a play of hiding hearts while baring bodies. Not an honourable job, not at all.

But Tramy was able to pretend. He looked directly in Ventos's eyes as she came closer to him, without any hint of intimidation. Recognition fashed on her face.

„Hello," she said, tilting her head.

He smiled at her. „Hello."

Her tent was blazingly hot. Apparently the burner preferred it that way, even during sex, when they hadn't needed more heat apart from their own. It had been fun, Tramy had to admit that. A Silver wasn't that different from the other women he'd been with, and she didn't treat him like anyone beneath herself. He noticed she had fallen asleep, as he whispered her name. "Lacey", he said, the personal address feeling strange. He was uncertain about what to do next. There had been plans, but no orders, to abduct Ventos – to interrogate her, to possibly kill and/or replace her with Nanny the shape-shifter. Ventos was important enough to sit in war meetings deciding the fate oft he dagger legion, but she was too new to be expected to have any opinions. A perfect mark for impersonation.