Chapter 5

Author's Note:

Hey! Remember my last author's note that said you would see much of Daniel's POV? Well, I lied. Turnes out this story is going to go a lot deeper than I thought ^^

Love me, Fan me, vote, comment. It's up to you :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                 Six actual months had gone by after I had the chip placed and six months had gone by since Daniel and I stared getting on one another’s nerves. From the many squabble we had with one another I knew that he liked the old me better. I wasn’t sure what was so great about the old me. I could still remember the days I was alone or punished. I was quiet back then. There were several times I wondered if he just wanted me to shut up.

“Let’s just go back to your time,” Daniel suggested for the umpteenth time.

“Why?” I argued, “Nothing is going to be the same.”

                Back and forth we went with the same subject over and over again. It was like Daniel was regretting his decision to bring me, but something told me that it was bigger than that. I wanted to know how much.

“Can you two take this into another room?”

                We stopped our bickering and looked over at Ron and Billi. Ron was a tall brunette with scruffy facial hair and worn eyes. I had learned a while back that he had been in a war prior to starting the time traveling business. Billi, on the other hand, was a plump girl with big, vibrant eyes. She was addicted to technology which partially came from her mother who was also a time traveler.

                Daniel grabbed my forearm and dragged me from the room the two were working in. I could tell that he was still pissed, but I left it alone. The moment he let go of me I was going to find Kala and hang out with her. She may not have known me before the ‘upgrade’, but at least she was nice to be around. She seemed like home. She seemed familiar.

“Danny?” I heard Kala ask as the man dragged me into the lunch room. “Wanna tell me why you’re dragging Amy?”

                The green eyed man stopped short, the back of my body clashing against him momentarily. I smiled at the girl who stood in front of me. I thought of countless ways to play off the scene that had formed, but I couldn’t think of one that didn’t make me want to gag.

“It’s none of your business,” He barked, not looking at the other.

                I felt my blood run cold and pulled myself from his grasp. His anger frightened me. It reminded me much of my Uncle Jonah that I even feared that deep down he was going to punish me or Kala. Daniel sensed my fear and slammed his fist against the frame of the doorway, causing both me and the other girl to jump slightly.

“I have to go somewhere.”

                Hearing his half-baked excuse to leave, I felt my hand reach out for him and yet I grasped nothing but the air.

When had we gotten like this?  I wondered thoughtfully.

                I felt like the world was slowly crashing around us. I trusted the letters I got several months when they told me that Daniel was my family and in that one week we spent together I had honestly felt like we were growing to like one another. We were fine as family even after I got the implant, but somewhere- somehow things went south.

“Amy?” Kala asked softly.

“I think I should go,” I said, staring down at my feet.

                Before she had a chance to change my mind I ran. My eyes filled with tears, but I continued to run. I pushed my body against the air as I escaped the building filled with scientists and mathematicians. The little attention I paid to the outside misguided me through the streets. I had no true destination as my feet circled me around the city and as I began to wind down, I felt my lungs and heart slam hard against my ribcage as if they were trying to break free.