2.10 ◇ A Change Of Heart

I headed to Brendon's house, where I hoped he would be. It probably wasn't a very good idea, and the sensible part of my brain knew that, but I had to warn him. I just had to.

Nervously dragging a hand through my hair, I knocked on the door, without any thought of what I was going to say.

Lucky for me, it wasn't Brendon who opened the door, but Diana. She smiled brightly as she laid eyes on me and gestured for me to come in.

"It's been a long time, Mr. Ryan," she said, "you look healthy."

"Thanks, so do you," I replied, returning her smile.

"Brendon's in the middle of something right now, but you can wait," she informed me.

I sighed in relief, at least he was here. Without giving it any more thought, I opened the door to enter the main part of the house and was greeted by a lot of shouting.

"What do you mean, we're not engaged anymore?!"

Alarmed, I turned around to face Diana, who pursed her lips and shrugged. I wasn't supposed to be hearing this.

"I mean what I said! My father arranged it, he's dead, now it's my call and I'm saying I'm not marrying you!"

Brendon.

Fuck. I wished I hadn't come.

"Why?! Why don't you want to anymore? Who else are you going to marry?!" She was crying now.

"Not you!" Brendon hissed and I was reminded how he was the master of finding a way to make his words cut like a knife.

"There's somebody else, isn't there?! Who?! Who could possibly be better than me?!"

I really, really shouldn't be hearing this, but I was frozen to the spot.

"They're a lot nicer and more understanding than you'll ever be!"

"Who is she...?" Sarah asked quietly, giving up on the shouting match.

"The most amazing person I have had the pleasure of meeting," Brendon answered, and my heart stopped.

Either he had moved on pretty quickly or it was me. The reason he called of his engagement was me.

"I hope you're happy and I wish you well," Sarah said and walked around the corner where I still stood, frozen to the spot.

She forced a smile, trying to hide her tear stained face and Diana went to fetch her coat, both of them dissapearing through the door.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She seemed like a nice person, and she hadn't meant to hurt anybody.

My thoughts were interrupted by Brendon dissapearing in front of me and I suddenly remembered why I was here in the first place.

He stopped in his tracks once he laid eyes on me and just stared, for what seemed like a very long time.

"Please tell me you just got here," he whispered, sounding empty and emotionless.

I stayed silent, which gave him his answer.

"You weren't supposed to hear that," he muttered, and I nodded. I really shouldn't have.

"Well? Why are you here? I thought I made it clear I didn't want to see you again." He asked, and I followed him into the living room.

"The bar. It, uh, police came."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "What?"

"I don't know. Dallon just told me that I shouldn't ever come back and... and I just thought that you should know so you don't go back," I rushed out quickly.

"Dallon told you?"

"Yes, can you please tell me what's going on?"

"Why were you talking to Dallon?"

"Brendon, please, is it that important? You're missing the point."

"Yes. Tell me you only talked, nothing more."

I sighed in annoyance, avoiding his eyes. He suddenly pushed me against the wall, his face inches from mine, and I stared into his eyes.

They were dull and lifeless, and sad. So so sad.

I watched his eyes flicker down to my lips and I realized how close we were. I could feel his warm breath tickling my skin, and I became aware of my furiously beating heart. My body yearned for his touch. Not Dallon's, not anybody else's, his.

I had a feeling he felt the tension aswell, because he suddenly pulled away and sank down on the couch, burrying his head in his hands.

Not sure of what to do, I sat down next to him, leaving a considerable amount of space between us.

"Can you please go?" His voice was trembling and, I could lie all I want to, but the truth was, it broke my heart. To see him like that. Not being allowed to comfort him and tell him it was all going to be alright.

I didn't want to go.

Nevertheless, I got up, and stood there for a moment, watching him sit there, his chest rising and falling irregularly.

"Go," he repeated, and I had no choice but to leave. I didn't get far, however, because Diana stopped me as I was about to head out of the door.

"Don't go," she whispered, taking my coat out of my hands and grabbing my hand.

"He's sad all the time, he used to be so happy, now he just sits around and cries all day. He needs someone to look after him."

"I don't think he wants me to," I responded, trying not to picture Brendon crying.

"No, but he needs you to," Diana insisted, "you care about him don't you?"

I bit my lip, but didn't hesitate to answer. "A lot."

"Then please do this for him," she pleaded and I gave in. Maybe I could fix this. Maybe he would forgive me. Maybe we would forgive each other.

And so I headed back, and sat back down next to Brendon.

"I told you to leave," he murmered.

"Well, I'm not going to. Not until you can smile again."

~

You smashed a glass into pieces
And that's around the time I left
And you were coming across as clever
Then you lit the wrong end of your cigarette
You said I'm full of diseases
Your eyes were full of regret

~